United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
13 October 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I think BelgoHead and armando have got this off to a good start, but there's some things I would like to add. My revisions are as follows

INTRODUCTION
Afrikaans is an Indo-European language which diverged from 17th century Dutch and now has added words from other languages as well. Afrikaans does retain around 80-90% of the same vocabulary as Standaard Nederlands, albeit with altered spelling, and simplified grammar. It is not completely clear how Afrikaans came to be, and learning about the history of Afrikaans is also to briefly learn the history of European settlement in Southern Africa. The development of Afrikaans may have began in 1652 when Jan van Riebeeck of the Dutch East India Company chose to bring small groups of farmers to the Cape of Good Hope to set up a supply post for Dutch ships en route to the East Indies. This was not originally intended as a permanent settlement, but the farmers stayed and founded what is now Cape Town. Later, French Huguenots, local Khoisan tribes, and slaves from other parts of Africa, Indonesia and Malaysia also settled there also, though their languages did not survive contact with the colloquial Dutch then spoken. This unique mix of ethnic groups is believed to have contributed to the development of a "kombuis taal" or kitchen language that slaves spoke and passed on to the children of the Europeans, and to their own children as well. The kombuis taal is sometimes believed to have been a pidgin or creole, indeed a form of it survives to this day as a colorful form of Afrikaans still spoken by the Coloured (mixed race) people in Cape Town. When the British came to the Cape in the early 1800s, some of the Dutch moved east and north from the Cape of Good Hope, settling what is now the rest of South Africa. Kombuis taal, far from dying out or being completely integrated into English at this time, was reintroduced to Dutch for two reasons; the colloquial kombuis taal was only spoken while most writing was in Dutch and many families only had one book, the Dutch Staten Bijbel. Afrikaans was rarely written until the mid-1800s when Abu Bakr Effendi wrote Bayaan-ud-djyn
an instruction manual for Muslims in the Cape originally written using Arabic characters. Meanwhile in what was then Transvaal, the Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners was founded and began to press for their language to be written and taught as a separate language from Dutch. During and after the period of the Boer Wars, Afrikaans was developed as a way of rebelling against perceived British cultural oppression. Afrikaans was the favored language of the National Party during the apartheid era, though it had dual status with English as an official language, and this association still leads to the misconception that Afrikaans is merely the language of apartheid. Currently South Africa has 11 official languages, but English is becoming more dominant. Afrikaans is still predominantly found in South Africa and Namibia, with recent immigrantion also leading to many Afrikaans speakers in Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium and the Netherlands.

CHIC FACTOR
Fairly Low, though more than one might think given the former association with aparthied. Most Afrikaans speakers also speak Engklish well and will be surprised that a foreigner is interested in their language. The name Afrikaans sounds exotic, and as the language is not wellknown outside of Southern Africa, the Flanders region of Belgium and The Netherlands, your friends may be impressed when you tell them you're learning Afrikaans.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE
Very little outside of South Africa and Namibia, though South Africa is the wealthiest country in Africa.

VARIATIONS
The Cape dialect is the most wellknown variant and it remains mostly a spoken language. Afrikaans is based on what used to be called the Eastern Frontier dialect and is in written form the most like Dutch.

I will add more later.

Edited by mick33 on 14 October 2008 at 1:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 13
15 October 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
BelgoHead wrote:

CULTURE
Afrikaans the language is spoken by diverse population groups in South Africa, and if you are lucky you will be invited to a 'braai' (bbq). There is a distinct Afrikaans speaking culture, the Cape Coloureds, that has its own accent, and unique and distinctive foods, celebrations and way of life. The traditional boer, or Afrikaans speaking farmers and their relations also form a distinct culture with traditional foods, festivals etc. These Afrikaners consider themselves Africans, not Europeans.

SCHOOLS
Taught at many schools and universities in South Africa. It used to be taught at every school (against many peoples wishes) and the backlash by the current government is to try and eradicate it from all schools and universities. Outside of South Africa though I dont thinks its taught anywhere????? The Univeristy of South Africa offers distance education courses from begginer up to Masters level in Afrikaans.

LINKS
afrikaans.us (now temporarily links to http://www.sois.uwm.edu/afrikaans/ because it was hacked?)- prime resource to learn Afrikaans online for free

EasyAfrikaans Easy Afrikaans will help you to start to learn the Afrikaans language. It is aimed at beginner level language learners and anyone who plans to visit South Africa

ATKV The ATKV is a cultural organisation through which the Afrikaans culture as a whole is experienced, promoted, enhanced and expanded, so as to make an indispensable contribution in Southern Africa.

As promised I will add more of my revisions to the propsed Afrikaans language page in the hopes of reviving this thread. First I will make the following revision to my previous post about variations.

VARIATIONS
There are at least three variants of Afrikaans. Western Cape Afrikaans, spoken in the Western Cape province, Orange River Afrikaans, spoken mostly in the Northern Cape and possibly retaining some Khoisan influences, finally Eastern Border Afrikaans spoken in the Eastern Cape, the Free State, and Gauteng which forms the basis of the academic form of Afrikaans taught in schools and used in writing.

For the culture section I would make only a few addtions
CULTURE
Afrikaans the language is spoken by diverse population groups in South Africa, and if you are lucky you will be invited to a 'braai' (bbq). There is a distinct Afrikaans speaking culture, the Cape Coloureds, that has its own accent, and unique and distinctive foods, celebrations and way of life. The traditional boer, or Afrikaans speaking farmers and their relations also form a distinct culture with traditional foods, festivals etc. These Afrikaners consider themselves Africans, not Europeans. Perhaps surprisingly, given the relatively small area where Afrikaans is spoken and the fact that South Africa and Namibia have changed their language policies, there are many Afrikaans radio stations; two are Radio Sonder Grense and Radio Uitsaaines and newspapers likeBeeldand Die Burgerand many talented musicians and authors, this almost makes up for the scarcity of Afrikaans resources elsewhere.

SCHOOLS
Taught at many schools and universities in South Africa. It used to be taught at every school (against many peoples wishes) and the backlash by the current government is to try and eradicate it from all schools and universities. For now some of the formerly Afrikaans only universities survive as dual medium institutions offering courses in either Afrikaans or English or sometimes both languages simultaneously. Outside of South Africa it is taught in a few American and European universities .
In South African universities courses in Afrikaans are available up to the doctorate level.

LINKS
Dr Jacques DuPlessis runs the best website for learning Afrikaans AFRIKAANS.US (NOTE this website's previous address was hacked and it isn't completely back up yet but what is there will get you started.)
Easy AfrikaansEasy Afrikaans is basically a small phrasebook posted online, but it will help you to start to learn the Afrikaans language. It is aimed at beginner level language learners and anyone who plans to visit South Africa.
Rina Loader at the University of Vienna has an excellent site about Afrikaans Afrikaans in Europa (These pages are mostly in Afrikaans and Dutch)

Edited by mick33 on 17 October 2008 at 2:55pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5232 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 13
13 April 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Bump. Recently I have become very interested in learning Afrikaans, but am not sure whether or not it will be worth
it. For example, as said before in this thread, it has become unpopular due to apartheid. Also, "It used to be taught
at every school (against many peoples wishes) and the backlash by the current government is to try and eradicate it
from all schools and universities."

So is it worth it, or is Afrikaans a dying language? Would I be hated for speaking it? Are English an other languages
taking over?

Thanks,
Brian, 18
1 person has voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 12 of 13
15 April 2010 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
Bump. Recently I have become very interested in learning Afrikaans, but am not sure whether or not it will be worth
it. For example, as said before in this thread, it has become unpopular due to apartheid. Also, "It used to be taught
at every school (against many peoples wishes) and the backlash by the current government is to try and eradicate it

So is it worth it, or is Afrikaans a dying language? Would I be hated for speaking it? Are English an other languages
taking over?

Thanks,
Brian, 18

Considering that South Africa has 11 languages, I can't fathom Afrikaans dying.

Also, I think you should pursue learning it. I plan to learn it a few years from now.

Great language :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Taalmeester
Bilingual Triglot
South Africa
Joined 5074 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 13
05 June 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:

taking over?

Thanks,
Brian, 18

I'd just like to add something here. As I do not no the opinion of Afrikaans outside
South Africa, I will not be able to comment on whether you'd be hated by people
outside Africa. (If so that would just mean they know nothing about South Africa)

Anyway South Africans won't hate you at all for learning it. A lot of black people
speak Xhosa/Afrikaans/English to be able to serve in their professions. Some
organizations have been formed to encourage Afrikaans among non-whites. (Formed by
blacks *(Black and Afrikaans speaking and proud))

People here won't take offense if you learn the language.
(Although they'll certainly take offense if you call their mother tongue 'dying';)).

Here's the truth. Some (A small percentage) of black people still see Afrikaans as
'only the oppressor's language'. However, and I've encountered some of them, they
primarily target ANYTHING European. By simply being British a British person
will most likely be called a 'colonialist'(Severely bad connotation in Africa, obviously) or an 'imperialist'. Sometimes just being white is enough to encounter
some racist generalization. However I say again racism amongst people is present
in all races. However, being white is much more of a factor than the the Afrikaans language.
(Surely there's nothing someone can do about that. )

On the education level the schools have been politicized heavily. However, it is
not an attack on Afrikaans but an attack on the exclusion that Afrikaans-only medium
schools cause. Afrikaans-only schools obviously excludes some black students.
However, once a school changes to double medium English + Afrikaans the problem is
solved. The black government does not intend to eradicate Afrikaans, instead they
recognize it as an African language, bred in Africa and it received an official
language status just like Zulu or Xhosa!

The following is very important. Afrikaans is used heavily academically. A truly
world class University (University of Stellenbosch) is Afrikaans. The engineering faculty is truly excellent and engineers are literally employed immediately after graduation. (Often overseas). Back to topic, although forced by law to instruct in
both Afrikaans and English, the professors ignore this law as they care little
for politics in the University. Their lectures are almost exclusively in Afrikaans.

Anyway, sorry for the long piece but I thought I needed to explain some things behind
the 'oppressor's language' fear I've seen more than once now. I don't know
where everyone outside South Africa is getting that idea? Anyway I hope that cleared
up some of the mystery or lessened some fears. Please ask if any more assistance is
needed. ;)

Edited by Taalmeester on 05 June 2010 at 11:16pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version