Marie
Diglot
France
Joined 5957 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 15
31 December 2007 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Do you think it could it be possible to add to the list the sign languages? Langue des signes française, American sing language, Nederlandse gebarentaal, Lengua de señas, lingua das sinais...
Since they are languages, I think they have a place here too. Don't you?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Marie
Diglot
France
Joined 5957 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes

Message 2 of 15
31 December 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
For a general profile:
I took info from wikipedia

INTRODUCTION
Sign language (also signed language) is a language which uses manual communication, body language and lip patterns instead of sound to convey meaning—simultaneously combining hand shapes, orientation and movement of the hands, arms or body, and facial expressions to express fluidly a speaker's thoughts. Sign languages commonly develop in deaf communities, which can include interpreters and friends and families of deaf people as well as people who are deaf or hard of hearing themselves.

USEFULNESS
No text yet.

CHIC FACTOR      
No text yet.

ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE
No text yet.

TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES
No text yet.

COUNTRIES
Wherever communities of deaf people exist, sign languages develop.

SPEAKERS
There is no reliable survey of the number of people who use a sign language as their primary language.

VARIATIONS
As is the case in spoken language, sign language differs from one region to another.

CULTURE
Hundreds of sign languages are in use around the world and are at the core of local Deaf cultures. Some sign languages have obtained some form of legal recognition, while others have no status at all.

DIFFICULTIES
The recipient of a signed message can read meanings carried by the hands, the facial expression and the body posture in the same moment. This is in contrast to oral languages, where the sounds that comprise words are mostly sequential.
Face expressions are difficult for learners.
Someone righthanded and someone lefthanded won't have the same dominant hand.
Be carefull: the recipient of a signed message and his interlocutor don't see exactly the same thing : when you show the palm of your hand, you don't see it; when your interlocutor points at his left, you have to understand left though it's right from your point of view.
Some verbs are directional.

GRAMMAR
Sign languages grammar and syntax are distinct from any spoken language in its area of influence. They use classifiers, inflections and topic-comment syntax.

PRONUNCIATION
Hand shape; orientation; location; movement; face expressions.

VOCABULARY
No text yet.

TRANSPARENCY
When people using different signed languages meet, communication is significantly easier than when people of different spoken languages meet.
Sign language, in this respect, gives access to an international deaf community. Sign language is however not universal.
There is an international sign language (Gestuno).

SPELLING
There have been several attempts at developing scripts for sign language.

TIME NEEDED
No text yet.

BOOKS
No text yet.

SCHOOLS
No text yet.

LINKS
No text yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6695 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 15
01 February 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
I think it would be better if we split the review into different sections for each sign language. ASL, BSL, FSL etc are all different languages and it doesn't make sense to have just one review for all of them.
Also, I could help out a bit with a review for BSL. I don't know the language but I know people who have learnt it.
1 person has voted this message useful

bushwick
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6025 days ago

407 posts - 443 votes 
Speaks: German, Croatian*, English, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 4 of 15
01 February 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
exactly, they are different and shouldn't be under one category.
however, i still don't understand the constant requests for new languages added, when i doubt that there are signers here.

Marie
Diglot
France
Joined 5957 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes

Message 5 of 15
04 February 2008 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
I don't feel like being an exeption. And I do sign. Since there are about 5393 members, I assumed I was not the only one!
I submited a general profile because I thought it would be better than nothing at all. I could imagine that, because there is no writting system for them, there could be reluctance to add it. Though, I agree that each of them deserves its own profile, like any other language of course.

Babylonia
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 5725 days ago

102 posts - 102 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Turkish

Message 7 of 15
04 September 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I am also interested in sign languages. For 2 years I have been a reader of the German magazine "Das Zeichen", which I found very interesting. For the time being I will not have the opportunity to learn the German sign language "DGS".

Edited by Babylonia on 04 September 2008 at 12:05pm

Autarkis
Triglot
Groupie
Switzerland
twitter.com/Autarkis
Joined 5733 days ago

95 posts - 106 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 15
04 September 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm teaching myself SDGS (swiss German sign language) for a while now. It's very hard without someone to practice with, but I'd like to list myself as a student of it.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version