United States
Joined 6590 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
06 January 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Hello Professor Arguelles,

I noticed that at your idealized polyglot school one hour each day is devoted to meditation and focus training. This is one aspect of your regimen I don't believe you've yet explained, and I would appreciate a brief description.

Thanks,

Kevin Sakuraba

Edited by KSaku39 on 06 January 2008 at 5:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 5
06 January 2008 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Sakuraba,

I am grateful for your feedback. There was a flurry of initial interest in this idea, but it seems to have dried up, which is discouraging. I will try to cover this point in my 4th updated draft next week as I am out of time for now. In the meantime, please repost this request in that main thread so I can more easily remember it.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 5
12 January 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
Mr. Sakuraba,

I am grateful for your feedback. There was a flurry of initial interest in this idea, but it seems to have dried up, which is discouraging. I will try to cover this point in my 4th updated draft next week as I am out of time for now. In the meantime, please repost this request in that main thread so I can more easily remember it.

I have also asked about this topic, and continue to look forward to your answer on it. I meditate twice daily, but do not currently do any specific focus exercises. I am rather interested in your recommendations on both topics.

How frequently would you like unanswered questions to be repeated? It would be a pity if people were trying to avoid too much redundancy and this was mistaken for a lack of interest.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
13 January 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I'd also be very interested in this topic. I don't practise anything like that at this moment, but I've often thought it'd be good to do so, and now that you mentioned it I've decided it's a must for me to try it.
As for the amount of feedback, I, for example, also was on vacation last week..I guess many people were. Besides people know that you don't like short posts, and sometimes there's just not much to say. I do believe that the number of views reflects the interest better than the number of replies. There are many threads in other subforums that have less views than the ones in this subforum while having 3-4 times more pages.

Edited by Serpent on 13 January 2008 at 4:00pm

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 5 of 5
13 January 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I am not going to have time to answer this adequately this week, and when I do, I would prefer to do so in the main post. Let me say, though, that I will stress two different aspects in what I write. In the first place, various and sundry relaxation techniques and concentration exercises are certainly useful in developing the ability to study seriously. In the second place, I honestly regard studying the way that I do to be a discipline in itself, almost a veritable path akin to other forms of systematic devotion.

Please do repeat questions often enough to keep a dialog going rather than letting me go off on monologues. When teaching in person, I can visually gauge what is going on in the minds of my students, but I cannot do that in this virtual format, which can be quite disconcerting. Also, it is not that I do not like short posts—I just do not like insubstantial ones that contribute nothing to the topic.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version