Denmark
Joined 6033 days ago

78 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 9 of 24
13 January 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
ryuukohito wrote:
I have tried AudiobookCutter, and it is very good. However, it seems the minimum size one can split an audiobook to is 15 seconds. In comparison, Audacity allows one to split into even smaller chunks of 1-3 seconds. I humbly believe that a chunk of 1-3 seconds allows one to shadow a sentence with greater ease. [...]

No doubt about that. I mainly did splitting up in order to get a faster search in my mp3 player - in that case I don't need very small chunks.

Slice let's you play with more settings. You can adjust the settings for Silence Level and Minimum Silence Duration (no Place Label, though). I tried the ones you posted and they seem to work.

Audacity is a great program, and thank you for posting the procedure. I think my main problem is not having enough ram which makes Audacity slow on mp3 files.
1 person has voted this message useful

workerbee
United States
Joined 6632 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 10 of 24
19 January 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I am really excited to use this feature, as the long pauses in Pimsleur are killing me. I have tried it, but must be doing something wrong, so I would appreciate any insight as to what I am doing incorrectly.

I am not using the beta version of Audacity. I think mine is slightly older at 1.2.6. I have successfully imported my digitized MP3 version and stretched it out for better viewing. The sound peaks seem to hover around .5 (whatever that means). I have two exact same streams on on top and one below. I am able to successfully select all, run the analyzer and plug in the recommended numbers.

One would think that I am set up for success, no? However, after the process, my strands seem not to have changed and I still have lengthy pauses of about four or seconds. Both strands seem to be the same.

What am I doing wrong? Am I correct in my expectation that by shortening the pauses, the sound blips will move closer together, and the track will ultimately become shorter overall? Please help Audacity masters!!!

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6017 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 11 of 24
20 January 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Dear workerbee,

I may be mistaken about this, but perhaps you have not yet exported the labeled sections using File -> Export Multiple? Only after doing that will the audio sections be split.

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6809 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 24
20 January 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I tried this using Audacity and ended up with a couple of hundred short files 2-5 seconds long which were not that useful, and which I had to clean off my workdesk. I admit I am not very adept technically.

How do I go about selecting a small number, 10 or 20 or so of short ( 3-6 second files) of my choice from a 10 minute audio file in Audacity. Or is that possible?

workerbee
United States
Joined 6632 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 13 of 24
21 January 2008 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I had tried the process again after reviewing the posts here, and I did have success this time. The red flags appeared at different marker points so that I could have split into different small files...and then export as mentioned.

I think though I was looking for something to truncate the silences that are rampant in Pimsleur and in Assimil. After more research, it seems that the batch process for this trick is in the Audacity 1.3.X version which is being beta tested.

Anyone have a method for shortening silences using the stable 1.2 Audacity version--besides a manual delete of each one? Thanks so much!

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6431 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 14 of 24
21 January 2008 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
workerbee wrote:
I had tried the process again after reviewing the posts here, and I did have success this time. The red flags appeared at different marker points so that I could have split into different small files...and then export as mentioned.

I think though I was looking for something to truncate the silences that are rampant in Pimsleur and in Assimil. After more research, it seems that the batch process for this trick is in the Audacity 1.3.X version which is being beta tested.

Anyone have a method for shortening silences using the stable 1.2 Audacity version--besides a manual delete of each one? Thanks so much!

I don't think that version does it. I had the same issue with my dialogues, etc.

I got the Beta version and have been truncating silences successfully with it ever since. It works like a charm.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6431 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 15 of 24
21 January 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
I tried this using Audacity and ended up with a couple of hundred short files 2-5 seconds long which were not that useful, and which I had to clean off my workdesk. I admit I am not very adept technically.

How do I go about selecting a small number, 10 or 20 or so of short ( 3-6 second files) of my choice from a 10 minute audio file in Audacity. Or is that possible?

You might want to consider highlighting each part that you want and clicking 'export selection' in the file menu. Once that is named and exported, move down the line to the next part you want, doing the same thing until all the good parts have been exported.

Edited by apparition on 21 January 2008 at 10:21pm

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6017 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 16 of 24
22 January 2008 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:

Dear Zhuangzi,

If I understand it right, you must first select only that portion of the audio you would like to extract, using your mouse. (This is contrasted with CTRL-A, which selects the entire audio by itself.) Now, once you have done that, Analyze -> Silence Finder. It will label-split only that portion of the text you need; and when you Export -> Multiple it will export only those parts.

workerbee wrote:

Dear workerbee,

1. First, check to see if your audio file is in stereo or mono format. If it is in stereo, the same file will have two tracks on top of each other.

2. If that is the case, click Tracks -> Stereo to Mono. The stereo track will then be converted into a mono track.

3. Now, select that portion of the audio you want, or press CTRL-A to highlight the entire audio. Then, click Effect -> Truncate Silence. You may wish to play with the settings to determine a suitable cutoff point, but all silences in between tracks would be completely eliminated.

I hope that was what you were looking for, workerbee?

Edited by ryuukohito on 22 January 2008 at 11:25pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version