Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6892 days ago

136 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English, GermanB1, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 25 of 26
28 July 2005 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Yes, I cannot believe that he is a non-native speaker. I believe that Malcom speaks other languages as well as madarin. Good Job~!

Kyle:
Only if hokusai have a very solid background in Japanese Kanji, otherwise, learning the hanzi is matter of confusion rather than help. Japanese Kanji and Chinese Hanzi look similar but are different, sometimes rather tricky. For some of the words, the difference is so minor that you may find it hard to distinguish, but the Chinese and Japanese really mean it. Of course, it wound not be a problem of reading. However, when it comes to writing, you have to be very sure if you are writing Japanese Kanji and Chinese Hanzi. Don't over look the possibile confusion. Here in Hong Kong, where traditional Chinese Hanzi is normaly used. Sometimes we will write the simplified one for time saving. However, it always happened that the teenagers use the Japanese Kanji instead of the standard simlified Chinese Hanzi. The reason is flooding of Japanese culture in Hong Kong. The young people can hardly distinguish if a character is Chinese of Japanese. I think this kind of confusion may also happen in those who are learning Japanese and Chinese at the same time.

Edited by vincenthychow on 28 July 2005 at 2:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kyle
Groupie
United States
Joined 6863 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes

Message 26 of 26
28 July 2005 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
vincenthychow wrote:
Here in Hong Kong, where traditional Chinese Hanzi is normaly used. Sometimes we will write the simplified one for time saving. However, it always happened that the teenagers use the Japanese Kanji instead of the standard simlified Chinese Hanzi. The reason is flooding of Japanese culture in Hong Kong. The young people can hardly distinguish if a character is Chinese of Japanese.

Wow I never realized it could be that confusing. Very enlightening. Thanks for the warning.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version