jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6382 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 9 of 11
04 February 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
That's another point. Admittedly, one can read its English, French, etc. translation and learn much from it. It's not confined to the Turkish translation. What interested me was the status of its translation in the Turkish literature. However, we have many cultural similarities (that's why I like Turks) and I can understand it.

Edited by Alijsh on 04 February 2008 at 9:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6425 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 10 of 11
04 February 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Wait 4u turn, thank you very much for your recommendations of music and literature, I appreciate it.

I'm a bit confused about Yunus Emre and Mevlana Rumi. If I understand correctly, Emre wrote in Turkish, but his writing was inspired by Rumi (who wrote in Persian). Is that correct?

Then, how easy/difficult is Emre's poetry to read? Is the language very different from modern Turkish?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Wait 4u turn
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 5900 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English, Spanish

Message 11 of 11
04 February 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
DEAR MR. FRISCH,
Well,Yunus Emre and Mevlana both traced the same philosophy.Mevlana wrote in Persian language but Yunus Emre ;who had been greatly inspired by Mevlana ,chose to write in Turkish though he knew the Persian(it was the official language ) and Arabic (it was the language of science )languages.Yunus Emre also prefered a very simple language in his writings.That's always been regarded as an effort of him to be able to reach mass public.Because, not everybody could speak Arabic and Persian languages in that time.
ANYWAY,I should add that the LANGUAGE HE USED İS not too DİFFERENT than TODAY'S.IT IS even clearer.
For example We say ''ACABA'' in Turkish to mean''I WONDER WHETHER.. ''.But people at that time would say ''ACEP''for this word.However the differentiates are rare and easily predictable.it is not something unpredictable especially if you are else familiar with Persian language.

i highly recommend you to read his books ''because ,he wrote in a very simple language so that everyone could understand and carry his messages.Be sure that you will have less and less difficulty in understanding his poems than the ones written today.

You could ask me everything you wonder about Turkish language.That's smth i do with pleasure.

Edited by Wait 4u turn on 04 February 2008 at 5:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version