108 messages over 14 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 13 14 Next >>
bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 73 of 108
29 March 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I agree with futurianus.Wendy Vo's language skill is real.She is one of a few true polyglots such as Steve Kauffman,Torbyrne,Stu Jay Raj.There are a lot of Pseudo-polyglots who can only speak a few sentences of a lot of languages.They are Ziad Fazah,Laoshu50500,Glossika.It is interesting to note that Wendy Vo might be one of the first polyglots who posted video proof of her language skills on youtube.She inspired a lot of real and pseudo-talents to do the same.In fact,she made language learning more fun!
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 108
30 March 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Newyorkeric did the right thing by closing one thread and leaving the other open. The only problem is that the new thread had some information about Wendy's status now, around 3 years after the first thread was started, and those three years are important in her age. So in order to keep a lifeline back to 'the other' thread, here is the link.

Edited by Iversen on 30 March 2011 at 1:47am

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4831 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 75 of 108
23 May 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
This kid is amazing. If she just maintains those languages and keep improving, she will be a great polyglot in the future. The video is very impressing. About her Portuguese: The Accent sounds almost native (like 98%), I mean, I wouldn't know that she wasn't Brazilian if I just heard her voice. I only noticed one mistake, she said "Doutor" (masculine noun for Doctor), instead of "Doutora" (feminine noun for Doctor). Her reading was flawless, and she did understand all the question asked by the interviewer. For a child, who also speaks more 10 languages, it's acceptable. I also understood her English and Spanish, but I can't judge on these languages.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5800 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 76 of 108
28 May 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
Wow, good for her! Rock on Wendy.

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 77 of 108
29 May 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I found some information about Wendy on Release TV. Type inside the human body.Click on building your brain,season 1,episode 3. at 37 minute.It is a short introduction but it is interesting.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5761 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 78 of 108
29 May 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
[Quoting from closed thread]
Arekkusu wrote:
futurianus wrote:

Her parents have done a really superb job in nurturing her talents.

Though one may wonder if they did an equally superb job of allowing her to be a kid and developing her social skills.

Quite -- I suspect they overdid the education side of things, but hopefully the language learning came will a lot of social interaction.

On the other hand, liberalism has gone a little too far in its effects on child-rearing. Far too many people react in horror to the idea of educational toys, crying "let kids be kids! Let them play!" Of course, this ignores the entire biological purpose of play: to learn.

Learning is pure mental stimulation, to the point that games designer Raph Coster said "with games, learning is the drug".

If and when I have kids, I'll dope them up to the eyeballs with learning (but not at the cost of their social development. This learning will also include physical skills, because learning's not all about what goes on inside your brain....)
3 persons have voted this message useful

spark
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4673 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 79 of 108
03 June 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Her Mandarin was good from what I could tell of her short one-sentence answers C: No grammatical errors apart from a wrong word choice or two - nifty! I can't judge native accent, you SHOULDN'T judge accent because it differs from region to region. A China National versus a Singaporean Chinese? Worlds apart man.

However, regarding proper pronunciation in speaking and reading, she pretty much had it nailed with only a little garbling here and there that can easily be forgiven. I had no difficulty whatsoever in understanding her words and they flow naturally, not sounding the least bit awkward :3

Regarding comprehension, she definitely had problems in the later part of the interview in understanding what her questioner meant because the questioning and her answers got very circular before she would bring up another topic altogether. Either that, or she understood but did not know how to formulate an appropriate response or what to say exactly. Then again, for all we know, she just was being difficult and did not want to concentrate on giving extended answers. She moved around. A lot. Ah to be so young, so...so hyper again. xDD

Edited by spark on 03 June 2011 at 9:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4759 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 80 of 108
04 June 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
bluecollar: Thank you for your great information! I have saved that file in my computer. I have become a great fan of Wendy and would like to meet her later on, if we have a chance to do so.

---------------------------

I had also found some new information about Wendy a while ago, but was a bit busy to put up that information.

A news article about Wendy in a Vietnamese media:   http://www.maivoo.com/2009/09/22/Tha n-dong-Wendy-Vo-Niem-tu- hao-cua-nguoi-Viet-n67031.html, uploaded on 22/09/2009, originally from http://vietnamnet.vn/thegioi/vn_tg/2009/09/869871/ (no longer exists).

You can read its translated version here:   http://translate.google.com/translate ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mai voo.com%2F2009%2F09%2F22%2FThan-dong-Wendy-Vo-Niem-tu-hao-cu a-nguoi-Viet-n67031.html&sl=vi&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8
If someone could provide a better translation than Google, it would be appreciated.

To summarize the main points,

--Wendy began speaking Vietnamese, English, Mexican(Spanish), Chinese at age of 2; French, Japanese, Indian, Russian, and Cantonese at age 3; and Portuguese at age 4.
--Wendy says that the secret to her language learning is simply that of speaking with people in their own languages.
--Her father is a dentist, and his patients are of different nationalities. She enjoyed chatting with them in her father's clinic.
--Her mom says that to educate a child well, the mother must be very gentle, skillful and subtle, and that she is a mom and a great friend to her and confides in her. .
--Wendy wants to be a doctor because she wants to help the sick, and also wants to be a musician because she loves music.
--Her mom respects her dreams? She always spoke Vietnamese with her and taught Vietnamese culture and traditions.

------------

I have much to discuss about Wendy, but I will have to leave that for another day. Bye for now.

Edited by futurianus on 05 June 2011 at 8:36pm

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version