Switzerland
Joined 6189 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 108
21 March 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
bluecollar wrote:
I agree with you about her accent.It is something you can only acquire when you are young.

No, it's not; it's just easier. There are people who acquire native accents as adults; I've met some.

2 persons have voted this message useful

moisa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6425 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 42 of 108
15 June 2008 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Ok. What I can say is that her Portuguese is very good. Her accent, except in few words, is native brazilian (she speaks like a brazilian kid). She didn´t speak for a long time in the video, but she understood everything clearly and answered almost without stop to think. I also found her Spanish very good as well. I guess she has a very ´good ear´, like we say in brazil, she picks the sounds quite well.

Edited by moisa on 15 June 2008 at 6:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 43 of 108
15 June 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
We have heard opinions from native speakers of Cantonese,French,Portuguese.Please come on board.It is interesting to know if Wendy Vo really speaks 11 languages.There are a lot of hoaxers out there.I hope she is the real thing and if she is,she can become an inspiring model for kids and for us adults too.

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5838 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 44 of 108
15 June 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I think it's safe to say that Wendy Vo is competent in all the languages in question. I'm sure if she was not some
person would have taken delight in exposing her by now.

As for the people commenting on her "larkspur" slip up, that's a little harsh. I'm in my twenties and that's my first
time even seeing that word as a native English speaker. It's a good bet a good number of Anglophones would have
mispronounced it also, so it's not a big deal.

Wendy Vo is impressive; the fact that she's 8 just adds to it. She's light years ahead of most people just speaking
those languages with the skill she currently has. Hopefully I'll be on a similar level as her someday, I'm pushing 11
languages myself.
4 persons have voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 45 of 108
15 June 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Are you seriously studying 11 languages?I have been working on only 6 and I am nowhere near Wendy Vo's level and she is only 8.

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5838 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 46 of 108
15 June 2008 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Not quite eleven just yet, but I'm working on it. Currently I'm studying all 7 listed under my profile. I'm waiting
until my Mandarin hits a steady intermediate level before I dive deeper into Vietnamese though, those tones are
tough!

The reason I say I'm pushing 11 is because I have a nasty habit of looking over the basics of a language based
purely on curiosity and eventually wind up studying it full time. Hopefully by the time I've reached that number I'll
have forced myself to stop >_<

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 47 of 108
24 June 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I wonder how many people in this forum can REALLY speak more than 10 languages,at least at Wendy Vo's level.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6300 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 48 of 108
25 June 2008 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
bluecollar wrote:
I wonder how many people in this forum can REALLY speak more than 10 languages,at least at
Wendy Vo's level.

What's the point of your post?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version