Pavilion
Groupie
United States
Joined 5805 days ago

58 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 65 of 108
06 July 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
I agree that she's an intelligent child, but I don't think it was a good idea to publish the video. There will always be pressure on her to live up to the expectations based on her performance at a very young age.

I remember the girl who went to Oxford university at the age of ten or so, where she studied maths. Her parents had home-schooled her and were obviously very pushy. Things did not turn out well, as they often don't in such cases.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zmejka
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5732 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Dutch

Message 66 of 108
09 July 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
She has a very nice accent [...]
she can understand most of what is said to her and can respond to it as well, but the discussions are very basic.

I can only tell about Russian - the woman who spoke to her has a thicker accent than a girl (if comparing accents in Russian of a woman-native and a girl-foreigner). But with Russian it's hard to understand the girl's skills - she can read very good, with speaking she rarely answered because the woman was constantly talking.

Edited by Zmejka on 09 July 2008 at 11:57am

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5731 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 67 of 108
13 July 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm only a native speaker of English, but also speak Spanish fluently and also Portuguese to some degree. Her
Spanish was good, but really the conversation wasn't long enough to gauge how good, especially since the things
she was asked and the things she said were things that one would learn at a beginner level. Her Portuguese,
however, seemed very, very good and she seemed to be at ease while speaking. Again this could be because the
Portuguese conversation was longer than the Spanish one, but Wendy Vo is amazing nonetheless.

And of course her English was fabulous because she is being raised in an English-speaking country.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5297 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 68 of 108
29 March 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
I'm never sure what to do on this forum. If someone responds to a three year old thread they get responses saying "how do you expect to get responses when the thread is three years old"

In this case, when a new thread is started, it is closed down and we are directed to a three year old thread!

Jim
5 persons have voted this message useful

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6229 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 69 of 108
29 March 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
I tried to find information on how her parents organized her learning all those languages, but failed. If you know where to look for it, please, direct me there.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4759 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 70 of 108
29 March 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 

Jim C. Yes, It is a bit troublesome, isn't it?

If this thread remains active along with the newer threads for a while, however, then merging up our thread with this three year old thread would be beneficial in getting rid of redundances.

I moved the postings from the closed thread "Wendy Vo - 8 years old / 11 languages," started by Alois M. on 27 March 2011 at 4:32am., to this place. If any of the five original posters do not want their post moved here, just let me know and I will delete that part.

-----------------------------------------
Message 1 of 9,    27 March 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged
by Alois M.
This is Wendy Vo, a music prodigy who's being taught to speak in 11 languages - English, Vietnamese (her parents' native), Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Arabic (Egyptian) and Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOPI7DzfUY
-----------------
Message 2 of 9,   27 March 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged
by ChiaBrain
Not only is it many languages to have some level of mastery at at any age, let alone 8
but her knowledge spans across the Indo-European, Afro-Asiatic, Altaic and Sino-Tibetan
major families.

Man, I feel dumb, lol
------------------
Message 3 of 9, 27 March 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged
by apparition:
I wonder how much more skilled she's become in the three years since we saw her last.

The thread about her from 2008.
------------------
Message 4 of 9, 27 March 2011 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
by futurianus:
Wendy Vo is truly amazing in that her abilities in 11 languages are concretely shown and 'proven' through video footages, rather than just self-claimed.

--I think her musical talents had helped her much in picking up and digesting the accents, rhythms, speeds and tones of the those languages.
--Also the choice of the languages she studied were quite superbly balanced, setting her up to be truely a great super polyglot. It would have been better, however, if she dropped Brazilian Portuguese and replaced it with German. She could easily pick up Portuguese later as she is learning Spanish now. Learning German now would give her a good foundation for picking up Germanic or North European languages easily later on.

Her parents have done a really superb job in nurturing her talents.

A couple weeks ago, I had seen her videos and had tried for several days to find informations on the educational and professional background of her parents and on whether she is home schooled with tutors or is attending a formal school, but could not find any. Does anyone have any information or any lead on this? If you do, sharing of it will be much appreciated.
------------------
Messages 5-8 of 9,   28 March 2011 at 11:30pm | IP Logged

futurianus wrote: Her parents have done a really superb job in nurturing her talents.
Arekkusu wrote(mess 5): Though one may wonder if they did an equally superb job of allowing her to be a kid and
developing her social skills.
futurianus wrote(mess 6): She seemed to have a bright personality and to be quite enjoying the experience of conversing in different languages and playing the piano. But indeed what you said was something that I was also curious and would like to get more information on that too.
Arekkusu wrote(mess 7): Little girls can be quite good at pretending to enjoy whatever it is that pleases people around them -- it doesn't mean it's what's best for her. Kids are not robots.
futurianus(mess 8):
Yes, it is indeed something that needs to be paid careful attention to in raising young polyglots, along with issues such as

-What are the negative side effects of raising a child polyglot?
-What are the proper approaches in doing it?
-At what age should they start to learn new languages?
-how many languages should they learn(any limitation to numbers)?
-etc.

I think she could provide us with an extremely rare and precious study case for a research that could yield valuable new informations and insights related to the mechanisms involved in the process of acquisition of new languages and to the right approaches in training young polyglots.

The communities in linguistics, education and media should have already done a thorough research of her case and have published some detailed informations, analyses and evaluations by now, but I could not find any.

------------------
Message 9 of 9,   29 March 2011 at 2:04am | IP Logged
by newyorkeric:
I'll close this thread since there is already another one on the topic where you can continue the conversation. (Link in post 3)

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4759 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 71 of 108
29 March 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
dragonfly wrote:
I tried to find information on how her parents organized her learning all those languages, but failed. If you know where to look for it, please, direct me there.

It's good to know someone else also wants that info.

My post from another thread:
"A couple weeks ago, I had seen her videos and had tried for several days to find informations on the educational and professional background of her parents and on whether she is home schooled with tutors or is attending a formal school, but could not find any. Does anyone have any information or any lead on this? If you do, sharing of it will be much appreciated."

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6129 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 108
29 March 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
JimC wrote:
I'm never sure what to do on this forum. If someone responds to a three year old thread they get responses saying "how do you expect to get responses when the thread is three years old"

In this case, when a new thread is started, it is closed down and we are directed to a three year old thread!

Jim

I never know what to do on this forum. If I leave several threads open on the same topic, people complain that there are too many redundant threads. If I close a redundant thread, then I get criticized by people who don't like to post in old threads! 8^)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version