Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 15
29 August 2009 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much about giving a detailed information about Greenlandic in this language forum. I have been to a very interesting lecture about Greenland and I am a Scandinavia fan in general (planning to learn Danish in the future) and I appreciate every info on Scandinavian languages. Good work done!

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5343 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 10 of 15
09 October 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Now.. I haven't been here for a long time.. So i thought that I wanted to post some more, that can be helpful
trying to learn Greenlandic. :)

.. Umm.. Oh yes.. Siblings.. Is probably one of the most difficult systems in the Greenlandic language.. It
depends on the sex! - Let me show you.

Girl:

If the girl has an older sister, she will call her Angaju (Pronounced: Anayu)
If the girl has an younger sister, she will call her Nuka (Pronounced: Nuga)
If the girl has an older brother, she will call him Ani (Pronounced: Ani hard ''i'')
If the girl has an younger brother, she will call him Aqqalu (Pronounced: Agrralu)

Boy:

If the boy has an older brother, he will call him Aavu/Aaju (Pronounced: Aavu as written and Aayu. long 'a')
If the boy has an younger brother, he will call him Nuka (Pronounced: Same as in the girls way.)
If the boy has an older sister, he will call her Aleqa (Pronounced: Alegrra)
If the boy has an younger sister, he will call her Naja (Pronounced: Nayah)

That should be it.. .. Try learning those.. :)

/Miiyii
3 persons have voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5274 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 11 of 15
22 October 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Now that's what I call a complicated language, Greenlandic. Cool ;)

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 12 of 15
22 August 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Any chance of this profile being added to the list? I wrote it some time ago, but nothing seems to have come of it. :(

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 15
09 November 2010 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Christopher, I suggest that you send a copy of this Greenlandic Profile to the Administrator by PM and ask him, whether he is willing to publish it on the frontpage of his website. When our Dutch Profile writing project is ready, I will do the same with the Dutch profile.

Fasulye
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gamma
Octoglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 6703 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English, GermanC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Icelandic, Dutch

Message 14 of 15
26 March 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Dear ChristopherB, thank you very much for posting the profile of the Greenlandic language.

I am researching self-teaching material (coursebooks with CD's) for Greenlandic on the internet, but as we all know, they are not very abundant. I really enjoy the "Assimil" method. Therefore, finding a course as similar as possible to that would make me very happy. However, as mentioned, it is unlikely that this comes true, so I am considering any other resources available on the market. Please note that I have not studied Danish yet; so that is one more thing that limits me right now.

Among the resources you have listed for Greenlandic, the material named "Grönländisch Wort für Wort" by Richard Kölbl (book + cd) caught my attention. I was actually about to buy it online when I realized that this is more inclined to a guide/phrase book than to a real self-teaching course. Am I wrong?

Can you guys help me out here listing all available self-teaching material (book + audio) that is NOT written in Danish, to learn the Greenlandic language from scratch? Sad enough, we will be able to count these on our fingers, if we will be able to do that at all.

Thanks to everybody in advance!

Edited by Gamma on 26 March 2011 at 4:04pm

akprocks
United States
Joined 5046 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 15 of 15
26 March 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I haven't heard of any English Greenlandic sources but I do know of good English ones for a mutually intelligible dialect, Iñupiaq. There's plenty of resources for that one as the local government can afford to offer many different courses. Rosetta stone is releasing a Iñupiaq rosetta stone soon too.

You can get a feel for Greenlandic via radio at: http://www.knr.gl/index.php?

If you would like to hear Iñupiaq there's a short video in it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvAceiILq4A

This site has a lot of useful links: http://www.nsbsd.org/departments/inupiaq-education

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version