Groupie
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5950 days ago

90 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Telugu, CzechB1, SpanishB2
Studies: GermanB2, FrenchA2, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 3
25 January 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
What does it take to become a polygot? Is it possible for people of any profession to become a polygot? Is there any sort of age-limit for learning languages (I did read somewhere that it becomes much harder to learn a language as one grows older. Is this true? Any advice from polygots (or anyone else) would be appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

PolyglotNZ
Pentaglot
Groupie
New ZealandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6006 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, German, Mandarin, Japanese
Studies: Polish, Swedish, Hungarian, Russian

Message 2 of 3
25 January 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I think your questions have been answered in other threads. I'll recommend you to do a search and you'll find many
answers.

Succinctly, anyone can become a polyglot. Age is not really an issue, younger people do learn language faster and
acquire a native or native-like accent, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to learn a foreign language. It
is possible to achieve mastery of a language as long as you work hard and systematically. Set realistic goals and
focus on them! Good luck with your language learning!

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6670 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 3 of 3
26 January 2008 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I agree with PolyglotNZ. Regarding accent, if that is your goal, you should even get a good grasp of that regardless of age.

There is no real reason why anyone cannot become a polyglot if that is what they focus on, unless they are supremely bad language learners (but actually that's probably so rare it merits no serious consideration).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version