tomasito
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6169 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French

Message 1 of 18
28 January 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I've seen alot of eccentric adds from this company and was just curious if anyone has acutally used any of their programs with success. It looks alot like a gimmic to me.
1 person has voted this message useful

matumic
Groupie
United States
Joined 6026 days ago

60 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 18
29 January 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I am currently using Rocket Spanish and I've had tons of success with it. I'm learning so much, in such little time. Lots of people think Rocket Languages is a gimmick with all the big and flashy words at the top, but I truly think RS has done nothing but good for me. They have a form for each language on their website (sort of like this one). What language do you want to learn from Rocket Languages?

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6443 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 3 of 18
29 January 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
It looks as good for beginners as other similar sites/programs. Probably best for first-time L2 learners. Then again, God help you if you pay $350 for the shipped version. I learned Spanish and French to basic fluency and German and Italian to an intermediate level for less than that!

Theres one thing I noticed on the page for Spanish:

Quote:
...And it doesn't matter what level you are currently at (beginner, intermediate, or advanced), Rocket Spanish is packed full of quality step-by-step audio lessons, over 500 pages of written lessons, games and other resources to rapidly advance your learning no matter what your level...

That's a rather ridiculous statement to make, considering it appears they label their lessons Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. If I considered myself Advanced already, what use would the first two-thirds of their lessons be to me?

matumic
Groupie
United States
Joined 6026 days ago

60 posts - 60 votes 

Message 4 of 18
31 January 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Well, you'll never know until you try it and I can say only good things about it. (maybe because I'm a beginner with Spanish) I really would like to know what methods/programs you used for learning Spanish, French, German, and Italian apparition, all for under $350.

tomasito
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6169 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French

Message 5 of 18
31 January 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm not actually looking to use the software, I was just curious to see if anyone had tried it. Thanks for the input

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6443 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 6 of 18
31 January 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
matumic wrote:
Well, you'll never know until you try it and I can say only good things about it. (maybe because I'm a beginner with Spanish) I really would like to know what methods/programs you used for learning Spanish, French, German, and Italian apparition, all for under $350.

Mostly second-hand books, some new ones with CDs, readers, novels, and free internet resources along with local libraries. When you have a large local library that sells foreign language books for 25 cents to $1 you can pick up a lot of different things. It was really a catch-as-catch-can process. I'm only now trying to develop a more efficient system, since those languages were learned over a rather long period of time (4 years?) with varying degrees of study, etc., due to school/work demands.

Truth be told, I did spend a lot of my time finding these things, which might add up to more than $350 if you factor in that labor cost, but many of them can still be used at the fluent level, as well.

I don't have anything against systems like this other than their price. With some effort, I've found equivalent component parts can be obtained at a fraction of the price.

rowelle
United States
Joined 5895 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 18
11 March 2008 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
apparition wrote:
Mostly second-hand books, some new ones with CDs, readers, novels, and free internet resources along with local libraries. When you have a large local library that sells foreign language books for 25 cents to $1 you can pick up a lot of different things. It was really a catch-as-catch-can process.

But since most of those are in print, wouldn't it be hard for you to get the pronunciation right? Each of the Rocket Languages contain audio lessons, among other things, with a native speaker. And with Rocket Spanish and French, you can get Level 1 and 2 for under $170 each.

And I, like Matumic, am taking Rocket Spanish. I'm fairly new to Rocket Spanish, but loving it so far!

Edited by rowelle on 11 March 2008 at 3:04pm

rjhatl
United States
shorty.com/~robbie/
Joined 5882 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 18
24 March 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm also interested in hearing more about Rocket Spanish. The LSLC folks are pushing it hard as a supplementary program (of course they get referral bonuses for it), but when I google for it, I get thousands and thousands and thousands of spammy links and fake "review" sites that only exist to hype it. That makes me think that the product is probably not terribly good (especially since some of the purchased links are "Rocket Spanish is a Scam"- it sounds as if they're trying to cover up bad reviews). I have yet to find a true, honest, objective review of it anywhere online.

For those who have used it, is it an online-only program, or can you use it offline (in your car, etc)? LSLC is selling "Rocket Spanish 2", but I can't find any mention on RS's site as to what "2" means- is it intermediate, advanced, etc?

Thanks,
Robbie

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version