United Kingdom
Joined 5930 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 9 of 12
04 February 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
leserables wrote:
I think those languages should stay where they belong, in our profile. Then, if people are interested, they could click on a name and check up on the profile. I don't want to hide anything, but I don't specially want to remind the whole world of the fact that me, I know .... languages. I don't mind if others do, it's just that I, personally, don't want to see mine there.

I agree. Naively I filled in all languages I know to intermediate level, not realising that they would all appear in every post. This reflects mainly the number of years I have been studying languages (I am not one of the student members!) rather than my genius. Maybe only those that are graded by Francois's questionnare as being at advanced level should appear in posts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 12
04 February 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
shapd wrote:

I agree. Naively I filled in all languages I know to intermediate level, not realising that they would all appear in every post. This reflects mainly the number of years I have been studying languages (I am not one of the student members!) rather than my genius. Maybe only those that are graded by Francois's questionnare as being at advanced level should appear in posts.

Unless you're fluent, only languages that you are studying are shown. Notice that Polish is not shown, for instance. If you don't want them shown, change them to 'not studying', or delete them from your profile.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
04 February 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I do in fact agree with leserables: the language lists should only be visible through the profiles. But until that happens (and the moon turns green and it snows in Sahara) I prefer giving the exact information even though it takes up far too much place in its present position.

To me it a greater achievement to know five very different languages to perfection than twice as many close relatives, and in this multitalented, but secretive company I don't think that my list is anything special so I don't mind having it posted somewhere, but I don't need to have it shown at every single post I make.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 12
04 February 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I suppose the advantage of having languages displayed next to every post is that people who aren't registered or logged in can see them, though this is a fairly minor advantage. Beyond that, I rather like how they're currently displayed. It gives this forum part of its character -- and language profiles like furyou_gaijin's would otherwise be much less striking.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version