12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 1 of 12
03 February 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I believe I have already mentioned in another thread that I am finally going about having my own website designed. So, I have a question for those of you who value reading what I write here: if you did not know that you could ask me questions on this site, and indeed, if you did not even know that I existed, what kinds of search words or phrases would you use to look for someone to whom you could pose the kinds of questions that you pose to me? Further, if you were interested in actually studying languages with someone like me, at an institute like the one I am starting to describe in another thread, what words or phrases might you use to track us down on the internet? The designer says that if she knows the kinds of search words and phrases that those interested in polyglottery would use, she can somehow build them into the coding of the pages so that they link up most effectively. Thank you very much in advance for any and all suggestions.
1 person has voted this message useful

rob
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5965 days ago

287 posts - 288 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
04 February 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
I would suggest keywords for those who do know you, those who knew you in the past, as well as those who don't, some general words on the subject, and maybe even some select popular individual language names. Also, don't be afraid to use many keywords. A few simple suggestions would be:

Professor Arguelles, ProfArguelles, Adaschir, polyglottery, polyglot, multilingual, multilingualism, shadowing, study languages, learn languages, modern languages, classic books, french, German, japanese, chinese, russian, greek, latin.

Also, to imply the ability to speak to you about the subject, I believe an important keyword would be "language forum".

I'm looking forward to the release of the website, as I'm sure many people here are!

Edited by rob on 04 February 2008 at 8:33am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6350 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 12
05 February 2008 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
How about book titles? Do multi-word keywords work?

rob
Diglot
Japan
Joined 5965 days ago

287 posts - 288 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 4 of 12
05 February 2008 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Do multi-word keywords work?

Yes, they do. For example, one of Amazon.co.uk's keywords is "low prices"

Edited by rob on 05 February 2008 at 2:52am

morphy
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
France
modernerasmus.com
Joined 6190 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: French*, Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 5 of 12
07 February 2008 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
The designer says that if she knows the kinds of search words and phrases that those interested in polyglottery would use,

ProfArguelles,
Although I'm an IT consultant my knowledge in Web development is still limited. However, I have spoken and exchanged ideas with friends of mine as well as an engineer whose only job is Web referencing.

Some years ago, when web development and programming was still in its youth, developers used to rely on keywords, mostly within META fields to guide search engines, but that's not the case anymore...

Quoting highrankings.com:
Quote:

If this meta tag were a child, it would be put into a foster home due to all the abuse it has received over the years! Once upon a time, in the prehistoric days of the Internet (1995?), meta keyword tags were a great little tool for the search engines to use to help them determine how to rank sites in their search results. When the engines' databases were small, this meta tag was a quick, easy method to help decide which keywords might be important on a site.

However, as always happens with anything this simple, people began to abuse it. People (spammers) began to put keywords into the meta tag that had nothing to do with the content of their site. Because they knew lots of people were searching with the keyword "sex," for instance, they'd put that word in their meta tags a number of times to bring visitors to their site, even though their site had nothing to do with sex! Personally, I don't quite understand that logic, because it brings in untargeted visitors But apparently the goal was to bring in traffic, period.

Over time, less and less weight was given to poor abused meta tags, and more and more weight was given to the actual content of the pages. Today the meta keyword tag is quietly living in its foster home and is fairly irrelevant to getting a page ranked high.

It is said that Google for example almost never rely on Meta tags anymore; they're trying to make their spiders act "as human beings would"! And humans can's read keywords inserted in the coding.

Other search engines are tending towards the same behavior even if some still rely to a certain extent on keywords.

The most important part for ultimately getting a high ranking is quality of Content! And I'm sure that will be the case with your web site, which I'm looking forward to visit.

Hope it helps,
Morphy

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6254 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 12
09 February 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Search Engine Optimisation as it is called. Getting your keywords to the top of the search is my area of expertese.

One of the important things is deciding on which phrases you want to get at the top of the listing. You need to look at the cometitice field fo example, to quite a real example from one of my sites, you may want to go for "tiger photographs" not "tiger pictures" despite the fact that more people look for the latter, because the former has less competition.

If you want to get more than one set of phrases listed well then you need a page dedicated to each one and other pieces of your website engineered to point at it.

It is actually quite a complex thing. I could say a lot more but I am using a spare machine on my network which is rather uncomfortable to use. It is usually a calculating machine not a typing one but I was on the phone to someone and needed to look somehting up on this machine which is next to the phone.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5948 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 7 of 12
10 February 2008 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
"how to learn languages", "how to learn x (insert language name)" "language learning resources" "language learning methods" "learning languages guide" "guide to learning languages" "latin language resources" "Germanic resources"

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 8 of 12
10 February 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all very much. This is still in construction, so if there are any further recommendations, I would love to hear them. Let me express my appreciation now in advance for any additional suggestions that may be forthcoming.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version