Joined 5930 days ago

90 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Telugu, CzechB1, SpanishB2
Studies: GermanB2, FrenchA2, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 5
04 February 2008 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
03 February 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged
Hello Prof.Arguelles
I've read quite a few of your posts and I'm amazed at the number of languages you can speak. I'm sure it must be very hard to remember so many languages (at least for me it would). I'm currently an 18 year student and I was wondering if you could help me with the order of the languages that I want to learn. First of all, I've already learned Spanish and German for quite some time (although I'm not fluent and since I haven't been practicing them so I'm forgetting a lot that I've learned). I'm currently learning Czech (as I live in Prague and will be doing so for the next 5 years). I'm already fluent in Hindi,Urdu,Telugu, Konkani and it's dialects (Kiristav and Varli which are Portuguese-indian dialects).

The primary languages I want to learn are: Polish, French, Italian, Farsi (I can read Farsi and also speak a little as I'm half Persian myself), Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian. I do have sort of an intermediate knowledge of French as I took it for three years in school and I also went to Sweden for a month to learn the language which wasn't that effective).I really want to be fluent in these language in at least about 10-15 years from now. The problem is that currently I'm not actively studying Czech as I'm quite busy with medical school but I do try and dedicate at least 45min- 1 hr. a day. I would greatly appreciate if you can give me any advice on what language to start with (in addition to what I'm learning already) and also any general language tips?
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7038 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 5
10 February 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I would like to help you, but in order to do that, I need more information from you. Please read “about this room” and then write a more structured formal request for assistance. Also, please look through the older threads in this room, as there have been a handful of similar requests from other individuals and my answers to them may tell you what you need to know.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 3 of 5
10 February 2008 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Just learn them all at once.

shreypete
Pentaglot
Groupie
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5930 days ago

90 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Telugu, CzechB1, SpanishB2
Studies: GermanB2, FrenchA2, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
10 February 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Where do I find the "About this forum" section?...I tried looking for it but couldn't really find it.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 5 of 5
10 February 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
"About this room" is the very first post (stickied) in the "Lessons in Polyglottery" room.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version