Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 73 of 154
02 March 2008 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
BelgoHead wrote:
I wish you the best of luck with your weekend study volte.

all the best

belgohead

Thank you. I wish you the best of luck with your studies as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 75 of 154
02 March 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Days 20-22:
Summary: I did less than I was hoping, but have finished a second pass through "The Master and Margarita", putting my total study time at slightly under 40 hours. I'm hovering on the brink of natural listening; I could catch most of a biography of Camus fairly easily, understood a significant percent (but also missed a significant percent) of the beginning of a story by Camus, was somewhat less successful with Sempe Goscinny's work due to a strange-sounding narrator, and am still fairly lost with Andersen; I can pick out words and phrases, but lose too much still. I still don't know my limits.

Day 20: 45 minutes, as I couldn't start until after 9pm, and was exhausted. I found that I'd lost a bit from my rather poor study habits last week.

Day 21: 2 hours. I could have pushed it further easily, but decided not to; I slept a lot, finally felt well-rested, and had a relaxing day, filled with non-language-related reading and music. I think I ended up slightly short of where I was at my best with Polish by the end of the 21st day.

Day 22: 5 and 3/4 hours. I finished a second pass through "The Master and Margarita"; I have not yet started the third. After, I briefly listened (30s-90s) to 4 different clips in Polish, to get a firmer idea of where I'm at.

I suspect that I could easily have done more today. After about an hour, it basically becomes a matter of self-discipline. I get fidgety (which is unusual for me), and not particularly enthusiastic, but I don't see any particular limit, short of needing to sleep and satisfy basic physical necessities during the day, and perhaps to take short breaks between chapters. If I'd started before 4pm, I'd have likely done more than I did.

Polish structures basically seem familiar at this point. I'm still figuring out some basic words - 'obok' eluded me for most of the 22nd day, before finally becoming clear. I don't have a total grasp on aspect, but parts of it seem clear; the same is true for the case system.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 76 of 154
02 March 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
Oh, so there is some talk as well. Good. As long as you try to get in about 30 minutes (or whatever you can) of
talk at native speed for the day I think you will benefit. I have heard this suggested before, and it is helping me
with Spanish. The music is just a bonus...

Listening to speech does help, but native speech (at native speed; I don't find that I particularly benefit from or enjoy any other, even at the earliest stages - it's a quirk of mine) without external aid at this stage is of -far- less help than input which is made 'artificially' comprehensible, such as that which is accompanied by bilingual texts.

I haven't listened to Polish radio or music since before this weekend experiment; I'll start again later today (Monday).

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6643 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 78 of 154
02 March 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Regarding learning languages from music, you might find this to be inspirational.

I remember her husband well from the "Beefstew Poetry Readings" that used to take place in Prague every week.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 79 of 154
03 March 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
CaitO'Ceallaigh wrote:
Regarding learning languages from music, you might find this to be inspirational.

I remember her husband well from the "Beefstew Poetry Readings" that used to take place in Prague every week.

I've tried translating songs, singing along after doing so, etc. I do find it helpful, but to a surprisingly limited degree. I wish I'd known about the poetry readings; I wonder if they were still happening either time I was in Prague.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 80 of 154
03 March 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Day 23
1 hour L-R, several hours listening to music.

Today's L-R was a break of sorts; I did "The nightingale", by Andersen, 3 times (thank you, leserables!)

It helped solidify some of the particles that I've trained myself far too much to strip out in Romance and Germanic languages, and was a welcome change from "The Master and Margarita".

Last weekend's work helped my comprehension a lot. I understood up to two lines at a time in some of the Polish songs I've been listening to, and now understand a significant minority of the song titles, rather than just picking out words from some.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version