United States
duallanguagebooks.co
Joined 5863 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 129 of 154
02 April 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
However in all the situations where you might use such an edition, you could also just keep two boks within reach, because while listening you probably can't get time enough to let your gaze flicker from one version to the other, you have to stick with either the translation or the original. Please contradict me if anybody can do this without losing track of where they are in the text(s).

I do something much like the Listen-Reading system described here. It's uncanny, really, and I'm glad it's being tried, since it works so well for people who like to read literature.

As for losing track... In my learning, I use the 'parallel text' aspect of the process only when I've already read the English trsnslation several times (if not more). Now, it seems rather much to ask of someone to read the same story several times, but if you space it out and alternate books (have a lot of irons in the fire, so to speak), it's much like revisiting an old friend and it's enjoyable.

This means that by the time I sit down with my handy parallel-text I've already got the 'story' in my head. In fact, when I think about it, it's mostly visuals that I have, punctuated by dialogue. That's the sign of a great story, no? I don't have the words of English in my mind so much as the vivid pictures they describe. Or, at least, I have an equal amount of both... I don't know exactly.

Having pictures and dialogue in your head really helps when you start listening to the foreign language with the text. What it means is that, when you come upon a particularly good part in the story, your mind is already making the pictures and anticipating what's going to happen. You pay attention to the foreign language at that time, since you already know what's 'happening' in the story. Multiply those attentive moments that happen every minute or so by 20-30 hours of listening repeated 3 or 4 times and you've picked up a lot of authentic L2 in about 120 hours of experiencing great classic novels!

You definitely could do this with separate texts, but I choose to use spiral-bound parallel texts because, frankly, having to keep two books open and in the same spot is frustrating.

That's my experience, anyway! :)

David Eastman
1 person has voted this message useful

duallanguage
United States
duallanguagebooks.co
Joined 5863 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 131 of 154
02 April 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
David,

Where can one obtain spiral-bound parallel texts? I am having problems finding parallel texts for Spanish.

Hi Bacchanalian,

Ah, well, that's indeed a problem. I had to make them myself using my scanner and getting them printed with Lulu.com! I read somewhere here that making your own isn't good, but I'm not sure why they would say that. For most familiar languages, it's not rocket science. :)

I am working on Don Quijote (finally!) and while it will take some months until I'm finished, I'm planning on making sections available on my website as I go, so that's one place.

I'd love to be able to distribute the ones I have, but until I decided to share the efforts of my labor, I'd worked with copyrighted novels and such, since they were for my sole use only. Quel dommage!

I'm just now discovering Project Gutenberg, which has wonderfully complete, generally off-copyright ebooks in English and Spanish. Of course, finding audiobooks to go along with these is next to impossible!. Most audiobooks are made for recent, copyrighted works. In other words, it's a catch-22. That's why I had to make my own. I wish more people would catch on to this method so publishers would have a market to make these books for us WITH copyright. I'm trying to do my part to stimulate demand by producing off-copyright dual language texts, but it's slow-going.

Anyways, sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. As the months go on, I want to get more and more texts available on my site, but as of now, Spanish is the one with least.

Cheers,

David Eastman

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 132 of 154
02 April 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
duallanguage wrote:
bacchanalian wrote:
David,

Where can one obtain spiral-bound parallel texts? I am having problems finding parallel texts for Spanish.

Hi Bacchanalian,

Ah, well, that's indeed a problem. I had to make them myself using my scanner and getting them printed with Lulu.com! I read somewhere here that making your own isn't good, but I'm not sure why they would say that. For most familiar languages, it's not rocket science. :)

I am working on Don Quijote (finally!) and while it will take some months until I'm finished, I'm planning on making sections available on my website as I go, so that's one place.

I'd love to be able to distribute the ones I have, but until I decided to share the efforts of my labor, I'd worked with copyrighted novels and such, since they were for my sole use only. Quel dommage!

I'm just now discovering Project Gutenberg, which has wonderfully complete, generally off-copyright ebooks in English and Spanish. Of course, finding audiobooks to go along with these is next to impossible!. Most audiobooks are made for recent, copyrighted works. In other words, it's a catch-22. That's why I had to make my own. I wish more people would catch on to this method so publishers would have a market to make these books for us WITH copyright. I'm trying to do my part to stimulate demand by producing off-copyright dual language texts, but it's slow-going.

Anyways, sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. As the months go on, I want to get more and more texts available on my site, but as of now, Spanish is the one with least.

Cheers,

David Eastman

You're aware of LibriVox, right?

duallanguage
United States
duallanguagebooks.co
Joined 5863 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 133 of 154
02 April 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

I couldn't find many Spanish novels on LibriVox. I searched with the 'Language' function as 'Spanish' and only 12 works showed up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 134 of 154
04 April 2008 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
duallanguage wrote:
Volte wrote:

I couldn't find many Spanish novels on LibriVox. I searched with the 'Language' function as 'Spanish' and only 12 works showed up. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

For Spanish specifically, LibriVox is fairly lacking, as you noticed. http://www.leerescuchando.com/ has a better selection. The downside is that the license is unclear (the books are gratis, but I haven't seen anything said about public domain, creative commons, redistribution, etc), and that it seems to be difficult to find corresponding Spanish texts (the ones I've found have been very different translations, with almost nothing in common), or for the few which aren't translations from English, decent English translations.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 135 of 154
04 April 2008 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Given the discussion of how to make parallel texts, here's atamagaii's explanation.

http://stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/How to make parallel columns with cells.7z. S/he says that the link is usable, but it hasn't worked for me (although a directory listing shows that it is there). Please say if it does/doesn't work; if others have trouble, I'll rehost the file elsewhere, as atamagaii sent me a copy because i couldn't download it.

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6025 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 136 of 154
04 April 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Given the discussion of how to make parallel texts, here's atamagaii's explanation.
http://stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/How to make parallel columns with cells.7z. S/he says that the link is usable, but it hasn't worked for me (although a directory listing shows that it is there). Please say if it does/doesn't work; if others have trouble, I'll rehost the file elsewhere, as atamagaii sent me a copy because i couldn't download it.

There's no problem with the link, it does work. You've got to click on the Russian in the red background at the top of the page, where it says "скачать" (Russian for "dowload"). It's a .rar file that unpacks as a word document, short explanations in English, text to be used parallel Russian/blablabla. It's understandable, though it looks funny.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version