Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 137 of 154
04 April 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
charlmartell wrote:
Volte wrote:
Given the discussion of how to make parallel texts, here's atamagaii's explanation.
http://stultorum.pochta.ru/aaaa/How to make parallel columns with cells.7z. S/he says that the link is usable, but it hasn't worked for me (although a directory listing shows that it is there). Please say if it does/doesn't work; if others have trouble, I'll rehost the file elsewhere, as atamagaii sent me a copy because i couldn't download it.

There's no problem with the link, it does work. You've got to click on the Russian in the red background at the top of the page, where it says "скачать" (Russian for "dowload"). It's a .rar file that unpacks as a word document, short explanations in English, text to be used parallel Russian/blablabla. It's understandable, though it looks funny.

Ah, thank you. My lack of being able to read Cyrillic, combined with the page design, meant I didn't manage to figure that out.

1 person has voted this message useful

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6004 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 139 of 154
04 April 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
I clicked on "скачать" and another page in Russian came up. Nothing downloaded to my Mac.

1. I said it was a .rar file, that was a mistake, it is a .7z file. Sorry about that little bit of misinformation. I should have realised immediately because the shortcut icon was neither a .zip, nor a .rar one. But as I'm used to downloading practically all files from Russian servers as rar....

2. If a second page in Russian opens, try rightclicking the blue line above "скачать" and choose "save link as..." or whatever choice your browser gives you. That should bypass other pages on that server.

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 141 of 154
04 April 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
Still not working for me when I download the link. All that is downloaded in a page with garbage all over it.

You are using a Mac, right?   Maybe because it is in the 7z format the unarchiving program is choking. You can try something like EZ 7z.   I've not done any 7zip stuff on the mac before.

Maybe some of this discussion should be moved out of Volte's log though...

Edited by kealist on 04 April 2008 at 12:03pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 142 of 154
05 April 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Alternate download link on how to make parallel texts.

I don't really mind if my log is used for discussion of file formats.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 144 of 154
06 April 2008 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
Thanks Volte. Volte, when you get better at Polish are you going to translate atamagaii's book on LR into English
for us?

If and only if:
- I get good enough at Polish.
- Atamagaii agrees.
- No one else has done a translation as good or better than what I think I could do by then.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version