Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 5
10 February 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
My real problem with the home-stay portion of the immersion programs I myself took in Russia and in South America was the realization that I was putting the entire family to great inconvenience in return for a mere pittance. Even now, years later, when I reflect upon those experiences, I wince at the thought of the degree to which I was the instrumental agent in a system of economic injustice and exploitation. If I were ever to do another immersion program, I would seek to avoid the home-stay portion for this reason.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 5
09 March 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm thinking about doing a home-stay in Guatemala, and what makes me sort of hesitant is the fact that the host family will only receive $65 a week and teachers $55. I don't want to seem like a person with a holier-than-tho thoughts, but as a Teamster I do follow up on workers' rights, so I'm not entirely indifferent to their economic problems. This leads me to wonder if there are cooperatives in the business of language learning. Are there any?       

Ruan
Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5981 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 5 of 5
10 March 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
I'm thinking about doing a home-stay in Guatemala, and what makes me sort of hesitant is the fact that the host family will only receive $65 a week and teachers $55. I don't want to seem like a person with a holier-than-tho thoughts, but as a Teamster I do follow up on workers' rights, so I'm not entirely indifferent to their economic problems. This leads me to wonder if there are cooperatives in the business of language learning. Are there any?       

Insofar as I am concerned, not in (South) America. In fact, the opposite happens, at least at Brazil: some corporations monopolized this "market", and so they sell very expensive methods which are designed to (awkwardly) teach you languages difficult as English in a period of eight years, through a kind of study that resembles these old Latin classes (drills, verb patterns, vocabulary lists... you got the picture).

In this place are some people who are truly interested in learning languages, but bear in mind that it is not easy to find them as it may seem, and not so easy as it would be in other places of the world.

Edited by Ruan on 10 March 2008 at 9:06pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version