Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6505 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 21
13 April 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
the_lizard wrote:
... as soon as they tell you you've got to watch out for mistakes, they're chasing the fun away from you and you're much less likely to succeed in learning, or rather, in freeing yourself to speak and understand the given language. Once a guy told me, "you have no idea about languages... you don't know how difficult it is for a true language learner to memorize all the rules", and then I realized that rather than looking for what he knows and what he can say, he was looking for what he doesn't know and can't say. ...

That's probably the best advice you can give to anybody who studies languages. It is quite funny that that guy would try to teach you what it is to be a true language learner - in fact he had all the problems and you had all the languages!
2 persons have voted this message useful

the_lizard
Bosnia Hercegovina
Joined 5926 days ago

8 posts - 11 votes

Message 18 of 21
13 April 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Bojan wrote:
Ich wollte einfach mal mit dir schreiben, Ex-Landsmann :D

Mich würden deine Fähigkeiten in der deutschen Sprache sehr interessieren.

Na ja, MSN macht mir ehrlich gesagt keine riesige Freude (das heisst inetwa dass ich höchstens 4-5 mal im Monat online anzutreffen bin), aber ich kann dir trotzdem meine ID per PM durchkommen lassen.

Falls du aber Facebook hast... Dann such mich dort einfach mal!
1 person has voted this message useful

the_lizard
Bosnia Hercegovina
Joined 5926 days ago

8 posts - 11 votes

Message 19 of 21
13 April 2008 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
That's probably the best advice you can give to anybody who studies languages. It is quite funny that that guy would try to teach you what it is to be a true language learner - in fact he had all the problems and you had all the languages!

Once a journalist asked me about language learning methods and I told him I had the fun of my life listening to songs from the Eurovision Song Contest back in the pre-1999 days where entries had to be in (one of) the respective official language(s) of the participating country and then looking up the lyrics - there's a(n almost) complete archive at www.diggiloo.net - and singing my lungs out under the shower (BTW for Danish I chose Under stjernerne på himlen by the late Tommy Seebach which, apart from being funny, uses loads of pronouns). He then deleted my reply and told me he thought it was "way too ridiculous to be taken as advice". Yeah, right.

It's like those people who spend half of their time hating their English books in order to get their TOEFL and then, if they do indeed get a certificate, spend the other half of their time telling everyone how cool they are for knowing enough rules to get a TOEFL certificate.

Amazing.

Now here's a question from me - is anyone on this forum interested in paleolinguistics? As in proto-languages & co.? [Just wondering ;)]
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bojan
Bilingual Pentaglot
Germany
Joined 6026 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian*, German*, English

Message 20 of 21
13 April 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Das wäre mir eine Freude, Muhamed. Dein Deutsch ist wirklich ausgezeichnet, allerdings hätte ich auch nichts anderes erwartet.

Vielleicht könntest du mir dann ein wenig helfen.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5882 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 21 of 21
15 April 2008 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Muhamed - Many speakers of the Brythonic Languages (Cornish, Breton, Welsh (and Cumbrian is becoming more recognized)) are very interested in what Brythonic or Brittish (they're the same thing) sounded like.

There's one problem with this - we have no record whatsoever of brythonic/Brittish - there was no writing - the closest we have is:

Kernewek Ankoth - or translated- Ancient Cornish
Late Cornish
Old Welsh
Old Breton

All of these are extremely similar to eachother with some very minor differences.

Yes, i am interested in paleolinguistics.
(PM sent to you The_Lizard)
TEL

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version