lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6478 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 74
12 February 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
If you have an American accent there is a website that helps tell you which one you have depending on the
questions you answer for a quiz.
Quote:
To most Americans, an accent is something that only other people have, those other people usually being
in New York, Boston, and the South. And of those other people, half of the ones you meet will swear they "don't
have an accent."
Well, strictly speaking, the only way to not have an accent is to not speak. If you're from anywhere in the USA
you have an accent (which may or may not be the accent of the place you're from). Go through this short quiz
and you'll find out just which accent that is.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

My results:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the
Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know
you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a
good voice for TV and radio."

1 person has voted this message useful

Alfonso
Octoglot
Mexico
Joined 6648 days ago

511 posts - 536 votes 
Speaks: Biblical Hebrew, Spanish*, French, English, Tzotzil, Italian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek
Studies: Nahuatl, Tzeltal, German

Message 2 of 74
12 February 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not from the U.S.A., but I lived in Ontario, Canada, for two years. So I answered the quiz according to the English I learned, heard and practiced in Canada and the results seem to reflect that.

My results: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Interesting! Because it's accurate when it says my English has something to do with Canadian accent. :)

My English is far from perfect and my pronunciation deficient in many cases, but, as a learner, I've been always very scrupulous in order to reproduce, the best possible, the sounds my teachers and other native speakers pronounce when learning my target languages. I try my best to imitate them.

Edited by Alfonso on 14 February 2008 at 1:44pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 74
12 February 2008 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
My Result: The West

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

I'm from the Seattle area, so it was right!

vhdhkfh
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 5996 days ago

22 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 74
13 February 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
English is my second language and by no means am I fluent in it.

Anyway, I did the test just for fun.

It says I have a New Yorker's accent. I don't know where that came from.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 74
13 February 2008 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Funny test, but it may be problematic for those of us who aren't US citizens and who hear English from all over the planet. I was bracketed as an Inland Northener from around the Great Lakes, which may or may not be a plausible guess (though of course wrong). However I noticed that many of my answers depended on making clear differences in vowel length or not("cot" vs. "caught"). I generally do mark that distinction so this one trait counts very heavily in the statistics. On the other hand I don't use different vowels in Mary/merry/marry or about/loud. It maybe true that people from the Great Lakes area show the same traits in their dialect, but I doubt that I have got my habits specifically from that area. And I don't say "pop" for fizzling unhealthy drinks..

It reminds me of an episode in England where I was diagnosed as Welsh without having ever visited Wales.

Edited by Iversen on 13 February 2008 at 7:49am

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6653 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Portuguese

Message 6 of 74
13 February 2008 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
As a non-native I had to give up on number 8 because I pronounce "Mary" and "marry" the same but "merry" differently. I don't speak enough English to do a test like this anyway...

LN
Groupie
United States
Joined 6059 days ago

39 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 74
13 February 2008 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
My results:

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Not surprising, since I learned all of my English in New York City...

William
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5921 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese

Message 8 of 74
13 February 2008 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
I got "The West (the lowest common denominator of American speech)". Accurate, as I am from Colorado

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version