Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 11
13 January 2011 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

I fail to see how that's any better than actually using the word in a sentence straight in the language.

It is not better, it is different.
If you are a beginner, it is easier to use the L2 word in a sentence in your own language. If you are not, it can be a way to produce a bigger mental network around the word.

You can fin several amazing examples here:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=23427

Edited by slucido on 13 January 2011 at 7:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 11
13 January 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I once wrote about this technique without even knowing its name so it is clearly something I support, but of course only as one memorization trick among others: visualizing, 'silly stories' based on sound, real connections based on derivational patterns etc. are alternatives, and sometimes one works, sometimes another, and mostly a combination is the best thing. The danger with the weawe obviously is that your thoughts mainly run in your native language, so it is worth stressing that it only should be used for memorization - it should not become a pattern you use instead of thinking directly in your target language.

I only have one supplementary suggestion, namely to keep the 'wowen' examples as short and memor(iz)able as possible. I.e. not "Faith sees a beautiful blossom in a bulb, a lovely garden in a seed, and a giant oak in an bellota" (from the thread Slucido refers to), but just "a giant oak in an bellota". If you like the complete expression then by all means invent it/write it/savour it, but then drop it for something that is easier to remember.   

To Arekkusu: There are three reasons why a weawe can be preferable to memorizing an example sentence in your target language: 1) it focus the interest on the word or expression you want to learn, 2) beginners usually remember sentences in their own language better than long strings of words in the target language, 3) the effect of a linguistic clash may be startling in itself.

Edited by Iversen on 13 January 2011 at 10:20am

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 11 of 11
13 January 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

I only have one supplementary suggestion, namely to keep the 'wowen' examples as short and memor(iz)able as possible. I.e. not "Faith sees a beautiful blossom in a bulb, a lovely garden in a seed, and a giant oak in an bellota" (from the thread Slucido refers to), but just "a giant oak in an bellota". If you like the complete expression then by all means invent it/write it/savour it, but then drop it for something that is easier to remember.   

If you understand the word's meaning and its pronunciation in L2, you can produce diglot weave sentences like a submachine gun. You can say them aloud or you can write them.

On the other hand, I was laughing with some sentences in that thread...

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version