United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6172 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 13
24 March 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:

Lloyd-Kirk, please stop insulting other members of the forum.

Yes, sir, moderator...................

His comment was ridiculous and loaded with political agenda, it warranted a response, the truth as a matter of fact.
1 person has voted this message useful

peterlin
Tetraglot
Groupie
Poland
peterlin.jzn.pl
Joined 6174 days ago

54 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Persian, English, Russian

Message 10 of 13
25 March 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if I, being Polish, count as a Westerner in your eyes, but I certainly felt very safe in Iran. So did, without any exceptions, all my friends who happened to visit that country.
I'm talking here about very low (as compared to Poland) levels of crime but also about prevailing attitude towards foreigners (warm-hearted hospitality).

It's really better to go there and see for yourself, instead of labelling others as ignorant on the basis of your superior... what exactly?.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Eriol
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6625 days ago

118 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 13
25 March 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
General consensus on travel to Iran seems to be that the main part of the country is perfectly safe for westerners. The areas you should avoid are the border areas close to Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Especially the southeastern part of the country near the Pakistan border is infamous for kidnappings of foreigners. Taking the overland route from Iran to Pakistan, however tempting it may be, is not recommended.

My own experience from Iran is just a few days in the northwestern part of the country where I had a really good time. I will probably try to go back some time in the future.

Asal
Bilingual Heptaglot
YugoslaviaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4175 days ago

25 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, SpanishC2, Latin, English, Persian, Macedonian
Studies: Norwegian

Message 12 of 13
23 October 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I fell in love with Iran and its people after I spent a month and a half there in 2011. It was a program organized by The Islamic Cultural Relation Organization,
The Persian Language promotion Center. I was sent there through the Iranian Cultural Center in my country.
There were people from 16 countries involved in Persian language classes at Shiraz University.
Iran is not dangerous at all. All you have to do is obey the law. You will always be surrounded by Iranians who are willing to help in any way they can, even if you don't ask for it. They are simply amazing..
I went there as a beginner in Persian language (have been studying it for 5 months, once a week before going there)and came back with at least B1 level, according to my own estimation.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4810 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 13 of 13
23 October 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
There was a very interesting documentary done by the BBC a year or so ago, entitled "Inside Iran", which you can watch on-line; it gives a fascinating feel for the atmospherics of the country, and helps to counteract the paranoia and hostility of people like a certain US President and, unfortunately, even some on this forum. You can see the first section at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjgl6ClLh7w

The other sections should be a available there as well.

That link is dead, so here's another one: BBC Documentary: Rageh Inside Iran (full length)

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version