29 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4890 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 25 of 29
20 February 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Very interesting topic. I am on an assignment in Singapore right now so Singlish is the order of the day nha. My English gets worse by the minute and I speak very badly sometimes but it seems perfectly natureal until I consciencly think about what I'm saying. Also, when I hang out with other Vietnamese we often speak a really messed up dialect. VietSinglish?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5135 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 26 of 29
24 February 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm only about lower intermediate in Japanese, but recently I've been having trouble recalling if I read something in English or Japanese, or if I had a conversation with someone in Japanese or English, or if someone said something to me in Japanese... I'll be telling my friend about something and I'll be thinking, '...Did they say that in English or was it in Japanese...?' Not that I'm complaining, I quite like how familiar I've gotten with Japanese. :)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5055 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 27 of 29
24 February 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
In my experience (and I don't have much), this happens to me with languages I'm at least
mildly proficient in. It has happened to me in Spanish and happens all the time with
Hebrew, and let me tell you I am nowhere near fluent in either of those languages.

I think it happens more when I read something than when I hear something. When I hear
something I tend to remember the sounds more than the meaning, but when I read I remember
the meaning and not the sounds (if that makes any sense lol).

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 29 of 29
26 February 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I think that I'm almost always aware of which language I'm speaking, writing, or hearing. It has happened to me on a few occasions that I answered automatically in French or German when somebody used that language although the conversation was in English, but these are rare exceptions.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version