alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7016 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 9 of 14
01 June 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged 

I am reviving this old thread, due to the release of Pimsleur Spanish IV.

I wrote to Simon and Schuster recently regarding Pimsleur. The three comprehensive courses being 33% each and all together adding up to 99%.

Here is what I wrote to customer support.

"One time customer service and the company stated using all three
Pimsleur comprehensive courses reaches 99% fluency. 33% each
comprehensive.
I would like to know due to the addition of a fourth comprehensive for
Spanish, then surely a person can reach 100% fluency?
The fourth comprehensive can cover the last 1%.
Please let me know if this is the case, as I want to take a C.E.F.R.
oral/ aural exam in the future to see if this proves Pimsleur reaches at
least C1 level. Not beginner, not intermediate, but at least advance to
superior."

This is the reply I received from customer support.
I am quoting the response only without the formalities.

"Pimsleur and Simon & Schuster Audio have not made such claim. It is, however, possible that an Internet reseller might have taken this liberty without our knowledge. Our courses have been tested at ACTFL Intermediate High after completing 3 levels (45-hours of study). We have not yet tested Spanish level IV against the ACTFL scale."

This response indicates that there is no standard in what answer customer support will respond with. If customer support did respond with the 99% accuracy, then the latest response contradicts the initial one and gets Pimsleur off the hook for misleading claims, as the Pimsleur company can deny all of it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 14
01 June 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
I have some doubts about Pimsleur even meeting ACTFL Intermediate High, which, according to the Wikipedia page on CEFR (if it can be trusted) is generally rated at A2.2/B1 on the CEFR scale.

Having completed Pimsleur French I-III and checked it against the Latitudes series of textbooks by Editions Didier, it looks to me that the whole Pimsleur series corresponds pretty much to CEFR A1, perhals at a push, to A2.1. In the ACTFL scale this would be Novice High or Intermediate Low.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6028 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 14
04 June 2011 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
ACTFL Intermediate High is possible with Pimsleur for spoken language. However, you are at zero for written. You are also using a smaller vocabulary compared to the same level using other methods. In Russian you will also suffer from the work arounds used to avoid teaching more of the Russian grammer. So I think it is a bit misleading to say you are at ACTFL Intermediate High after three levels. I do not think the course is bad, but the claim is pushing limits.

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5318 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 12 of 14
04 June 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Also, upon completion of each level, you will gain about 33% fluency in Spanish (or the language of your choice). So after all three levels have been completed, you will be at about 99% fluency!

If I hadn't heard this type of thing before I would really think this was a joke email
3 persons have voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5348 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 13 of 14
05 June 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
GREGORG4000 wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Also, upon completion of each level, you will gain about 33% fluency in Spanish (or the language of your choice). So after all three levels have been completed, you will be at about 99% fluency!

If I hadn't heard this type of thing before I would really think this was a joke email

The exclamation point at the end is the icing on the cupcake.

Oh, and if anyone's actually planning on complaining about these claims (someone posted a link to the US organization that deals with false advertisement on the first page), then I'm in too. I bet if we round up a whole herd of angry language nerds for the attack we could actually make a difference. :D

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7016 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
11 June 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur customer service in my post above deny to have ever made this 99% fluency claim, but presumed it was a reseller without their knowledge. I contacted leosmith, and leosmith does not remember the reseller who did this, as it was a long time ago.

How true the statement is with or without the company permission we do not know, as I am sure Pimsleur will avoid any connection with such potential problems.

Edited by alang on 11 June 2011 at 7:31pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version