Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7034 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 2
02 March 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
You have not gone wrong at in point in summarizing the 7 main stages of the shadowing method using an Assimil course. However, the method in itself is only a portion of what you need for success with it. You also need to do the actual exercise with good and proper physical technique, you need to have the discipline and the structure of study with systematic regularity, and you need to know how to keep an optimum balance of new material with review.

Your first question about doing the steps with a single dialogue or on the entire recording goes right to the heart of the matter. This is a matter of experience. Initially you will probably want to do it the first way, though eventually you will probably move towards larger and larger segments.

I do not understand your question about headphones; I have always found that it is essential to use earphones precisely in order to get the effect of resonance, be it correct or off key.

This method is every bit as applicable to the older Linguaphone courses as it is to Assimil, but Linguaphone now makes other courses, PDQ and All Talk, with which it would probably not work.

I think it is a very good strategy to use both Assimil and Linguaphone in your study of Spanish, and I do not think it matters which you use first. Using FSI will also be of great benefit to you. I do think you should probably use this after the other two, for you will be advanced enough at that point to appreciate the structured drills. On the other hand, should you find yourself foundering with the shadowing approach, you may want to switch to FSI for your initial learning. It is not correct to say that I am not an advocate of FSI. I most emphatically respect and appreciate it as a very solid method; however, I have always advocated different approaches for different learning styles, and all I have ever said is that this is not suited to my own initial approach. For reinforcement, I do appreciate it very much, although I prefer to use it without the audio.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version