Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6140 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 1 of 63
27 February 2008 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I'm curious to know, has anyone on this forum tried using Heinrich Schliemann's approach to languages? (i.e. by memorizing entire books?)

His methods are described on this page. It amazes me to see that he learned languages quite rapidly just by attempting to memorize. I think it's particularly worth noting that he claimed he wasn't too good at memorizing at the beginning:

Quote:
My memory was bad, since from my childhood it had not been exercised upon any object; but I made use of every moment, and even stole time for study. In order to acquire a good pronounciation quickly, I went twice every Sunday to the English church, and repeated to myself in a low voice every word of the clergyman's sermon. I never went on my errands, even in the rain, without having my book in my hand and learning something by heart; and I never waited at the post-office without reading. By such methods I gradually strengthened my memory, and in three month's time found no difficulty in reciting from memory to my teacher, Mr. Taylor, in each day's lesson, word by word, twenty printed pages, after having read them over three times attentively. In this way I committed to memory the whole of Goldsmith's Vicar of Wakefield and Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe. From over-excitement I slept but little, and employed my sleepless hours at night in going over in my mind what I had read on the preceding evening. The memory being always much more concentrated at night than in the day-time, I found these repetitions at night of paramount use. Thus I succeeded in acquiring a thorough knowledge of the English language.

I then applied the same method to the study of French, the difficulties of which I overcame likewise in another six months. Of French authors I learned by heart the whole of Fenelon's Aventures de Telemaque and Bernardin de Saint Pierre's Paul et Virginie. This unremitting study had in the course of a single year strengthened my memeory to such a degree, that the study of Dutch, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese appeared very easy, and did not take me more than six weeks to write and speak each of these languages fluently.

Inspired by this idea, I decided to try it for myself last night. To my surprise, I enjoyed this method and I think it could be quite effective in the end. I opened up my Latin book, and decided to memorize the first chapter (of which I had full comprehension). I shadowed some of content a few times at first (by reading the content while listening to it simultaneously). Then I simply attempted to recite a sentence at a time exactly as I heard it.

Since stories have sentences which are related and contain visual imagery, it would probably be easier to memorize entire stories than to do the 10,000 sentences method. In this case, the learner is learning to memorize entire books, rather than self-inputted content which can be created in isolation (and thus, without visual imagery which aids in retaining information). Memorizing entire books may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed trying it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with memorizing stories in the target language?

-Jason

Edited by JasonChoi on 28 February 2008 at 8:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sydney
Groupie
Yugoslavia
Joined 6233 days ago

58 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Serbian

Message 2 of 63
27 February 2008 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Hm, interesting. I'm going to give this a try, at least with a short story to begin with! Thanks for sharing this.

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6962 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 3 of 63
27 February 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
It would be interesting if doing it could actually make the memory stronger so that memorizing other things becomes easier. But if it didn't have this effect on the memory I think, then, there are far more interesting methods.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5903 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 63
27 February 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
This is a fascinating topic, I'm so glad you posted this. I use memorization and have found it to be really helpful in getting the rhythm of the language and in strengthening pronunciation by reciting and singing. I like short poems, songs, sayings/proverbs and jokes the best. That way, you get a real sense of accomplishment when commit one to memory. If you try to memorize something that is too long, you can get discouraged and give up.

Here are some the things I especially enjoy memorizing:

French - Fables of Jean de La Fontaine
German - Poems of Goethe and Heine
Italian - Pierino Jokes

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6228 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 5 of 63
27 February 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
This is really fascinating!

But I wonder how much time would memorizing of a book take (say, Hamlet by W. Shakespeare)?

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6228 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 6 of 63
27 February 2008 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
My favourite books:

The Little Prince by Saint-Exupery
Hamlet
The Gardener by Tagore
Onegin by Pushkin

...and a lot of perhaps too long books. Maybe one can learn only passages one especially loves?

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 27 February 2008 at 11:44am

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6140 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 7 of 63
27 February 2008 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
By the way, I forgot to add..

During my attempts of memorizing 2 paragraphs, I had been using mental images to keep track of the story. By shadowing (with reading) enough times, I had developed a natural sense of what I wanted to say. Ultimately, this approach literally allows me to think in the target language, since it skips over any intermediary translation. I was going directly from the meaning (i.e. the mental pictures) to the target language.

In other words, I wasn't doing this:

Quote:
L1 -----> mental images (i.e. meaning) -----> L2

It was actually like the following:

Quote:
mental images (i.e. meaning) -----> L2

I particularly like this approach because it gives me instant feedback. If my pronunciation, grammar, or syntax does not sound the same, I know exactly what I need to work on.

Likewise, if I stumble through a certain phrase or am hesitant even though the phrase is correct, it usually means my mouth needs to practice saying it correctly until they become automatic, just as a musician needs to practice selections of a piece until they becomes nearly automatic. At the moment, I'm convinced that this could be a great approach for developing fluency.

Edited by JasonChoi on 28 February 2008 at 8:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6228 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 8 of 63
28 February 2008 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
I think it would be great combined with L-R method.

By L-R method, you can reach listening comprehension in very short time. And memorizing favourite passages, poetry, and dialogues may be the perfect way to learn to speak! I will certainly try it.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version