287 posts - 288 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 33 of 63
02 March 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
raeve wrote:
Interesting method. I once tried to memorize "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe, but I gave up after 4 verses. I guess my brain is no use for that.

Ha, funny you should say that. I actually did memorise "The Raven" many years ago, but all that is left now are little random scraps: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary, etc..."

Or:

I learned The Raven unto verse four
And then I uttered... nevermore...
2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5904 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 35 of 63
03 March 2008 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
raeve wrote:
I actually did memorise "The Raven" many years ago, but all that is left now are little random scraps: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary, etc..."

[QUOTE=Ichiro]Could I ask, how do you keep the stuff you memorised live in your head? Doesn't it just vanish again?

Or does that not matter - do you feel that if the words and structure have been embedded by learning some passage, you don't need to reproduce the whole thing again at some much later date?

My experience has been that unless I review what I have memorized every so often, I will lose everything except the most memorable pieces (as Hencke exemplifies above).
However, I am able to re-memorize very easily plus, as you surmise, the words and structure are retained and that is by far the most important part.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MeshGearFox
United States
Joined 6477 days ago

316 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 36 of 63
03 March 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
This is what my Russian teacher said she had to do, actually.
1 person has voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6141 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 37 of 63
03 March 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
According to the Ebbinghaus curve, information that is learned has a 58% chance to rapidly forgotten after 20 minutes. Here's a picture of it. It also suggests that 44% is retained after one hour. As time progresses, the percentage drops a bit more.

Some people claim that by reviewing the same information strategically at those particular intervals (20 mins, 1hr, 3hrs, 9hrs, etc), it would be an efficient way of retaining the desirable information. Thus, the graph would then look a bit like this. While this particular graph does not have the exact percentages, as you can see, the retention chances are dramatically higher by reviewing at those particular intervals. Perhaps someone else can comment more on this than me. For all I know, I may be presenting erroneous information, but it does seem to make sense.

Edited by JasonChoi on 03 March 2008 at 11:06am

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5930 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 38 of 63
04 March 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I thought you were familiar with the concept of SRSs JasonChoi? Aren't they programmed just so to take advantage of the intervals?

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6141 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 39 of 63
04 March 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
I'm familiar with SRSs, but I don't like to use them, since I can't exactly carry my pc around when I go out for a walk ;)

I'm not too fond of paying for them either. The same is true for using palm pilots or notecards. In my opinion, the inputting time just takes too long whether it be on notecards or SRSs. During that time, I could easily memorize a short dialog.

Also, in my understanding, those intervals are not the same as the ones in the Ebbinghaus curve.

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6018 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 40 of 63
06 March 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Ichiro wrote:
ryuukohito wrote:
But I do have to admit that it's tiresome, having to memorize entire stories and chunks of text. (I try my best to memorize a text as it is, and in its original order; but sometimes, I make sure I memorize the exact sentence, and can reproduce it perfectly per se, but not in the original order and structure.)

Could I ask, how do you keep the stuff you memorised live in your head? Doesn't it just vanish again?

Or does that not matter - do you feel that if the words and structure have been embedded by learning some passage, you don't need to reproduce the whole thing again at some much later date?

It's funny how it works for me, but I would describe it this way: Initially, I may not remember the exact wording of a piece I had memorized. But when I think of the meaning (by remembering the English translation, or how a certain passage triggers a particular feeling) I get a visual 'imagery' of sorts, which leads me to lots of separate words popping up in my head; just a collection of vocabulary relevant to the meaning I'm trying to forward. From there on, I would suddenly get a vague structure of the foreign translation in my head, and a moment later, a proper sentence would form, which would then remind me of the actual original sentence I had memorized.

Edited by ryuukohito on 06 March 2008 at 11:53am

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version