Northstar
China
chineseontheairRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5684 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 49 of 63
16 October 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
I once tried to recite the whole text, but only lasted for several months, as I found that it's no fun at all, and you may can memorise one text with one hour at first, you need spend more hours to hence this memory, otherwise it's kind of wasting time. So in my opinion, the quality of memory is also important.
1 person has voted this message useful

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6857 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 50 of 63
02 June 2009 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
With the exception of memorising things, this sounds similar to Repeated Reading.

Basically.. through reading the story repeatedly, you can increase reading fluency (and potetionally speaking fluency), enhance vocabulary and syntactical retention. And even more if used in conjunction with audio or a model.

This is something I use myself in language study, but I've also put it into practice with ESL students and in the primary school literacy program to improve native language skills.

To suppress boredom though (especially with kids), it's better to have a few different texts that you can move between so you're not actually repeatedly reading the same story everyday for a week. Instead, you are repeatedly reading say 5 texts over 5 weeks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MLSUSA94
Groupie
United States
linguisticventures19
Joined 5488 days ago

50 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 51 of 63
03 June 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Memorizing books? That seems...enjoyable.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5703 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 52 of 63
04 June 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
MLSUSA94 wrote:
Memorizing books? That seems...enjoyable.

Well, if it floats your boat. I prefer memorising short listenings. I find it helps when you speak. Maybe you won't know why something is wrong but if it sounds wrong you can correct yourself - a very powerful tool.

MLSUSA94
Groupie
United States
linguisticventures19
Joined 5488 days ago

50 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 53 of 63
04 June 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I was being sarcastic, but hey, maybe I might give it a whirl sometime or another.

speedcuber206
Diglot
United States
lingophiliac.com
Joined 5877 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, Cantonese
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 54 of 63
05 June 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Hmm...for those familiar with the One Thing in a French Day podcasts, I've been trying to memorize those and I personally find them very enjoyable. They are not necessarily dialogues, but they do discuss a variety of "everyday" topics.

Does anyone have any experience memorizing podcasts of this nature?

lerner
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5598 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 55 of 63
05 June 2009 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
yes, i have tried to memorize podcasts from "dradio.de", especially from their science channel "Wissenschaft im Brennpunkt". but they were more for things like Dark Energy in the universe or Accelerated evolution, not strictly issues one would talk about on an everyday basis. and due to the "journalistic" nature of the articles it isn't really that easy to memorise them.

for the moment i'm switched to memorising "The Lord of the Rings" in German, only the first of the three parts. i find this easier as i basically know the story so i can, in a way, directly think of the image and speak the sentence in German which basically eliminates the "translating from English" phase. it's not always the most enjoyable method but then language learning is not always a walk in the park for everyone, it has it's sticky points.

Edited by lerner on 05 June 2009 at 7:48am

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5703 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 56 of 63
05 June 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
MLSUSA94 wrote:
I was being sarcastic, but hey, maybe I might give it a whirl sometime or another.

So was I! Memorising books doesn't float my boat either especially as I know that I only remember about half of what I read but if I listen to something, I'll remember about 95% of it. Go with your strongest sense for memorising.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version