United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 1 of 62
04 March 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Decided to start a daily language log to keep checks on myself in my daily study, and
to track my progress.    

audio

I am compiling a list of Mandarin audiobooks here in the hope that (1) other people
will use them and (2) other people will help me with this list by finding texts for
these books in both languages (as long as they not still protected by copyright)

How to Download Books: (easy, but time consuming)

1. Open the Link from this page
  2. Click the "+" next to each track that you want
  3. Right-Click the green download button on the left side (the right side is Thunder:// protocol). Select "Save link as..." to download the file where you want it
  4. Repeat with each additional track you want. This can take a long, long time to download 100+ tracks

Mandarin Audiobooks:

Confirmed matching audio and transcription:

• Fortress Besieged - S: 围城 T: 圍城 (14.3 hours) -- audio (32 parts) - EN - ZH

• Gulliver's Travels - 格列佛游记 (~3 hours) -- audio - ZH

• Old Man and the Sea - 老人与海 (4.2 hours) -- audio (11 parts) - ZH

• Star Wars - S: 星球大战 T: 星球大戰 (~8 hours) -- audio (13 parts) - ZH1 - ZH2 - 塔图因是一个巨大而明亮的星球 (1st line)

• True Story of Ah Q - 阿Q正传 (~2 hours) -- audio - EN - ZH

• Confirmed slight differences between audio and text (i.e. can someone find a
    matching written version?) :

• Anna Karenina - 安娜·卡列尼娜 (~50 hours) -- audio (136 parts) - ZH - EN

• Jane Eyre - 简爱 -- audio (59 parts) - ZH - Chinese text is at least pretty similar.

• Unchecked:

• 1001 Nights - 一千零一夜 -- audio - ZH
  • Around the World in 80 days - 八十天环游地球 -- audio (37 parts) - ZH
  • Complete Anderson's Fairy Tales - 安徒生童话全集 -- audio - EN(zip) - ZH (eek!! don't know what order they are in)
  • Family - -- audio (51 parts) - ZH
  • Gone with the Wind - 世界名著-飘 -- audio (127 parts)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales - 格林童话 -- audio - EN(zip) - ZH
  • How the Steel Was Tempered - 钢铁是怎样炼成的 -- audio
  • The Invisible Man - 隐身人 -- audio (28 parts)
  • Outlaws at the March - 水浒传 -- audio - ZH
  • Pippi Longstocking - 长袜子皮皮 -- audio
  • Robinson Crusoe - 鲁滨逊漂流记 -- audio (32 parts) - EN - ZH - Audio and ZH not the same
  • Le Tireur de pousse-pousse - 骆驼祥子 -- audio
  • Journey to the West - 西遊記 -- audio (100 parts)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms - 三国演义-- audio (365 parts)

Jin Yong 金庸 wikipedia page

• Blade-dance of the Two Lovers T: 鴛鴦刀 S: 鸳鸯刀 -- audio(1 part) - ZH
  • The Book and the Sword - T: 書劍恩仇錄 S: 书剑恩仇录 -- audio (7 parts : 36 hrs 33 min) - ZH
  • Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils T: 天龍八部 S: 天龙八部 -- audio (50 parts) - EN - ZH
  • Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain T: 雪山飛狐 S: 雪山飞狐 -- audio (76 parts)
  • Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 倚天屠龍記 -- audio (40 parts) - EN
  • The Legend of the Condor Heroes - T: 射鵰英雄傳 S: 射雕英雄传 -- audio (40 parts) - EN
  • Ode to Gallantry T: 俠客行 S: 侠客行 -- audio (85 parts) - ZH
  • The Return of the Condor Heroes - T: 神鵰俠侶 S: 神雕侠侣 -- audio (40 parts) - EN - ZH
  • The Smiling, Proud Wanderer 笑傲江湖 -- audio (219 parts) - EN - ZH
  • Sword of the Yue Maiden - 越女剑 (~1:10 hours) -- audio (1 part) - EN - ZH

March-11-08 - Updated methods
    March-24-08 - Added Library
    March-27-08 - Added Audiobook Section
    March-03-08 - Added links to Audiobook Section
    March-29-08 - More links to Audiobook Section
    October-04-11 - Made the mistake of editing in Chrome, had to redo everything. Added Star Wars audio (!) Removed HP and 36 Stratagems (audio gone)

Edited by kealist on 04 October 2011 at 3:57pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

• Serpent
    Octoglot
    Russian Federation
    serpent-849.livejour
    Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
    4 sounds
    Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
    Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 62
    04 March 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
    Good luck with your studies!

You might have accidentally chosen the type "practical self-study question" if the thread ended up in that forum...
    1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 3 of 62
    08 March 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged 

Uyghur Resources:

Here is one of the main uyghur websites (tor beti):

http://biliwal.com/

Other interesting links (if I think of anything else, I will come back and add it in):

www.meshrep.com/
    http://www.rfa.org/uyghur/ (Radio Free Asia's Uyghur broadcast)
    http://www.uighurlanguage.com/ (the guy who runs this site does uyghur proficiency testing. Tughluk is a pleasant guy.
    http://www.anatilim.com/
    http://wiki.yulghun.com/ (Apparently someone tried to make a Uyghur wikipedia--haven't looked at it yet)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UyghurLanguage
    http://www.ukij.org/oyghan/ (Uyghur software) For windows typing is pretty well designed now. It uses the Saudi Arabian input method. For OSX, there is still no right-to-left support for OpenType fonts.   Programs that use their own font handling can work well (Mellel, Adobe), but other stuff is useless.
    http://www.uyghurdictionary.org/ a decent dictionary, none are that great online, or books for that matter.
    http://dict.yulghun.com/ This is the dictionary I use--it is the same as the electronic dictionary Irpan, as far as I can tell.

Library of books

Japanese:
    Remembering the Kanji Vol 1
    Breaking into Japanese Literature
    Nakama I
    Nakama II
    Furigana Dictionary
    Japanese with Ease Vol 1
    Japanese with Ease Vol 2
    How to Play the Clever Bass

Mandarin:
    Integrated Chinese Level 1, Part 1
    Practical Audio-Visual Chinese
    (.125)Parallel Text of Anna Karenina and audiobook

Latin:
    Lingva Latina Pars I Familia Romana
    Lingva Latina II Roma Aeterna

French:
    French in Action
    French without Toil
    French with Ease
    Oxford French Dictionary
    Le Petit Prince
    Nouveau Testament (Semeur)

German:
    German without Toil
    Cartina Method Learn German in 20 Lessons...Illustrated

Greek:
    Teach Yourself Greek
    Oxford Greek Dictionary

Swedish:
    Teach Yourself Swedish

Dutch:
    Dutch without Toil

Spanish:
    Spanish without Toil

Croatian:
    Teach Yourself Croatian

Korean:
    Elementary Korean

Procedures:

Japanese:

Goal:   Finish Assimil at least by the end of the semester (halfway through May). Continue practicing conversation with Japanese friends. I've also been going through some of the stories on franklang. After finishing Assimil, I would like to FINALLY read Breaking into Japanese Literature.

Daily Activity:

One lesson per day

1. Listen to audio of lesson twice to see how much I can comprehend.
    2. Listen to audio of lesson twice while reading the English.
    3. Listen to audio of lesson while trying to shadow the recording.
    4. Scriptorium exercise of writing the whole lesson
          a. Read sentence aloud in Japanese.
          b. Read sentence aloud in English.
          c. Look carefully at the sentence and understand it.
          d. Copy the sentence reading each word aloud as I write it. (writing only Kanji)
          e. Read the sentence that I have read and check carefully to make sure I understand.
    5. Listen to the recording several times to try to understand as fully as possible.

Beginning state: Passive wave lesson 68; Active Wave 18.   

Time: 1 hour per day.

Mandarin:

Now I have decided to spend at least an hour L-Ring a day of Anna Karenina in Mandarin.    I would like to get some spurts of 4 or 5 hours in there to see how it proceeds.

Previous idea:

I've been a bit aimless on this after I finished the first semester of study (finished level 1 part 1 of Integrated Chinese) in the winter, and have had conversations and read some things on and off.   I am going to start working through Chinois sans peine since I have recently acquired it.   I am of the traditional character school, so I will be retyping it to use traditional characters lesson by lesson.    I will also be using Practical Audio-Visual Chinese Level I text because I have it.   My goal is to finish Assimil by the end of the summer. I will also be experimenting some with L-Ring.

Goal: Assimil at least one lesson per day.   
           optionally 30 minutes of L-R a day

Time: 0.5 to 1 hour per day

Uyghur:

Goal: Read new texts for class and shadow them.   Improve my vocabulary immensely.   I hope to be able to read a novel in Uyghur by the end of the summer. Vocabulary is my main problem. Grammar is pretty internalized at this point. Using the modified arabic alphabet, I read very slow.   I want to work on my speed. For vocabulary, I will go back and look all the words I have supposedly learned over the years, and review it.    

Now I am doing scriptorium exercises with previous texts I've done before because I feel that I retain most of the words in the sentences.   

This was my previous daily plan:

- Vocabulary (10 minutes of vocabulary review per day)
    - Reading speed (10 minutes of blind reading a day)
    - Fluency - 20 minutes of shadowing texts
    - Class

Changed forums, I could have sworn I posted this in here, but somehow it ended up in practical self study questions.

Because of a major linguistics field methods paper I had to do for yesterday, I mainly shadowed Japanese and Chinese while I was driving around the last 2 days, as well has having class, so I did not stick to my plan for the last couple days. Nor could my Japanese language partners meet this week, so that is a shame.

Japanese: Assimil 69.   This morning I read a few sentences out of the middle of Nakama 2, and could understand them without a problem, aside from a couple unknown kanji which I could understand from Chinese.

Mandarin: I have listened to about 25 of the first lessons, and I could understand most of them except for a few words here and there.   I think I will start with Lesson 18 and continue on from there.   

Uyghur: Need to dig out my notebook from the summer and start reviewing words.   Reading an excerpt from a Uyghur book about a Swedish traveller Swen Hedin. Written Uyghur is so much denser than spoken. The more I do it, the more I will get used to it though.

Edited by kealist on 29 April 2008 at 9:57pm

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 4 of 62
    10 March 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
    Japanese: So, today, I met with one of my conversation partners and tried to speak, but I am realizing that my speaking ability is rather dead, while I can comprehend quite a bit. I am going to make an effort to go back through and study the words in Assimil that I can't seem to hold on to.   I am not progressing through the new lessons as fast because I am getting lazy.   I need to write a set of steps to do down with the lesson to systematically move through it each day in an efficient way.   I am at lesson 70, review now. I will have my second meeting

Mandarin: Yesterday went to Chinese church and while I didn't understand much at all, I did learn and figure out some words. Yesterday, I decided to sit down with Anna Karenina (I printed out the first 50 pages of my bilingual text) and tried L-Ring the first two chapters after reading them in English.   This was my second attempt at this, but I could follow along much much better, except in some of the medium and long paragraphs. I realize it would have been easier to break up the Chinese into more sections on my text to make it easier to follow along with.   I have been listening to some of the Assimil lessons in my car this weekend, but not actually reading the book.    Not to continuously change my plan, but I am going to stick with L-Ring Anna as far as I can, to get a better idea for this method. I think a few words actually did stick with me even though I didn't "understand" everything.

Just did another hour: chapters 1 through 4.   Chapters 1 and 2 were much much easier to go through the second time around.

L-R time: 2.5 hours

Uyghur: intermittent reading for 1.5 hours at work, and 50 minutes of class. Texts are about 60% unknown vocabulary which is annoying, I have yet to find a source for anything different than that though.   Spoke for about an hour and a half with a friend on Saturday.   

I also need to get into an exercise routine.   

Edited by kealist on 11 March 2008 at 4:41pm

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 5 of 62
    11 March 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
    Updated my first post with some changed methods.

Japanese: Because I tried following the scriptorium method I found that it improved my ability to retain comprehension of words without further work. I am also learning some of the kanji as a side affect. I find that at these lower lessons, I am having trouble focusing on studying, so this should help me maintain my momentum and keep moving and understanding them. Yesterday I did this with Lesson 68.   I am planning on doing 69 in a few minutes.

Update: Did Scriptorium for Lesson 69. My retention was not as good this time, but I was a bit tired today.

Mandarin: L-R the first four chapters of Anna Karenina again this afternoon. I could retain my place much better this time through, and I understood a little bit more. It took around an hour. Sometimes I feel on the verge of having a headache, but it goes away. I am doing this at work in my office, so there is some background noise. I will do it again tonight and hopefully go through some more chapters.

Update: Did not end up doing more except for reading through ch 11 in English to prep for doing it in Mandarin.

L-R time today: 1 hours
    L-R total time: 3.5 hours

Uyghur: Nothing today.

Edited by kealist on 12 March 2008 at 1:06am

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 6 of 62
    13 March 2008 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
    Today was a little disappointing. Not enough time to get things done because my schedule was pretty much full.

Japanese: Reviewed and listened to previous lessons probably a total of 20 to 30 minutes.   Whited out about 8 lessons worth of romanji of the next few lessons. This is extremely time consuming, and extremely annoying. My comprehension of the lessons I did with scriptorium is pretty solid still.    I am happy about that.

Mandarin: Nothing. I will try to read a few things before going to sleep. Review a lesson in my old finished textbook or something. I have no energy for L-Ring today. I will try to wake up early and do some before work in the morning.

Uyghur: Finished the excerpt of the Swen Hedin book in class today.   I did a brief few minutes of scriptorium with some of the sentences from the lesson, but didn't get a solid amount because some calls came in at work.

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 7 of 62
    13 March 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
    Japanese: Scriptorium Lesson 71.   Took me around 45 minutes. I could read most of it without furigana afterwards.

Mandarin: L-Red for about two and a half hours while at work. There were a couple of minute or two long distractions where I had to stop, but it didn't feel like it was so disruptive.   I read through the first nine chapters of Anna. The first four were VERY easy to follow along with, but the others were much tougher. I have really begun to notice some differences in the Chinese text and audio. I don't know whether that will be something bad later on, or if I should try to find the EXACT matching version. It's probably 95% identical. In the later chapters (five through nine) I found myself getting lost or thinking I was further along than I was.   The names are really helpful as steps to make sure I know where I am in the text.   

L-R time today: 2.5 hours
    L-R time total: 6 hours

Uyghur: Nothing of consequence. Spent a few minutes looking through the Modern Uyghur Grammar (Morphology) book I picked up from Turkey. Haven't had a chance to do much. I will be reviewing vocabulary for a few hours in the morning tomorrow. Should have done some more today.

Edited by kealist on 14 March 2008 at 1:04am

kealist
    United States
    Joined 5996 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 8 of 62
    14 March 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
    Today I read the autobiographical portion of Ilios by Heinrich Schliemann.   His focus on memory is interesting. Though I feel he had much more drive from his life circumstances than I do. I would be curious to read his La Chine et le Japon, but my French is not so wonderful at this point. I could at least understand the jist of the page or two that I read. I would like to try L-Ring it after I feel comfortable with Chinese.   

Japanese: Scriptoriumed lesson 72. Spent about 40 minutes on it.

Chinese: I have to head back home tonight, so I will try to do an hour or two of L-Ring before I sleep.

Uyghur: Around one hour of scriptorium. Watched a movie. My comprehension of the movie was iffy, but I could basically follow it.

I will be traveling for 5 days next week, and I will be in a place where I will not have time for language study. I may be able to do one thing for 30 minutes to an hour a day, but that's all.

I have decided to go to China for the summer. I should have a lot of time to devote to pure language study because aside from language classes, I have no other commitments.

Edited by kealist on 14 March 2008 at 5:05pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version