United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 9 of 62
24 March 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
My five days of traveling ended up being about nine days without a chance to study language.   I am picking back up today....I will update this more after I do something.

Went used book shopping today...

Bought a German book today that reminded me vaguely of Assimil. It is titled
German in 20 Lessons...Illustrated (1967) Looks like it using the Cortina Method-whatever that is.   

Also bought Elementary Korean complete with CD for about $15 basically new. Whenever I have time to learn Korean, I will probably start with this. But that will be after I make a lot more Mandarin progress.

Japanese: Listened to about 10 lessons today. I felt like my understanding was slightly "deeper" than in the past, despite not looking at Japanese for 9 days.   So I feel good. Tomorrow, I will begin with scriptorium of new chapters again.

Time: .5 hours

Mandarin: L-R for half an hour the first 3 chapters again to get back into the swing of things after my break.   But I am so low on sleep I gave up on my hopes of doing a couple hours as I am spacing a little bit.   Tomorrow will be another opportunity.

L-R time today: .5 hours
L-R total time: 6.5 hours

Uyghur: Class (watching a video) and did some translations for some homework.

Time: 1.5 hours

Edited by kealist on 24 March 2008 at 10:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 10 of 62
26 March 2008 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
This week is being overshadowed by papers in school. I have lost some momentum with studying, so I will be trying to get that back this week.

Japanese: Did some reviewing today. And went through some flash cards in Anki. I've been rethinking about doing RtK or not. I think the scriptorium may help me a lot with my kanji slowly. I just don't like the idea of only learning the meaning associated with the kanji.

Mandarin: Nothing much today.

Uyghur Learned vocab for about 20 minutes today

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 11 of 62
27 March 2008 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Japanese: Listened to about 10 assimil lessons today just trying to understand. Getting a little deeper

Mandarin: L-R starting from chapter 3 on of Anna Karenina for one hour.   Feel back in the swing of things, but didn't get a 3 hour chunk yet.   I DID however make an audiobook section on the first page of this log for mandarin audiobooks. I will try to locate the texts for these books as I have time. Hopefully this will encourage some others to make and find them. My mandarin is poor enough that it makes looking for texts difficult (especially ones that match the audio). I want to find a better matching Anna Karenina. I hope to find a sentence inwhich I know all the words which is different than the text I have so I can search for a different one on google.

L-R Total time: 7.5 hours

Uyghur: Vocabulary review and quiz today.   

Edited by kealist on 27 March 2008 at 12:57am

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 12 of 62
27 March 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
OK, I have done a major overhaul of the first post to add in information about Mandarin audiobooks, and I would like to add texts to this list.   If anyone wants to find a text, PLEASE DO SO and tell me about it as well.   And if you can confirm that the text matches the audio, please tell me as well.   I know my text of Anna doesn't entirely match the audiobook, but it is still manageable.

Uyghur: Mid term due tomorrow, so I will mainly be working on that.

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 13 of 62
31 March 2008 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Lost some momentum the last couple weeks, but I will pick it back up. And I got caught up in trying to organize my first post rather than actually study. It is one of those trips that I easily fall into: learning about learning languages or collecting materials rather than actually learning them.

Japanese: Did scriptorium of Lesson 73. Spoke Japanese with one of my partners for around an hour. It felt a lot more natural this time, but my vocabulary is too limited. Need to learn more words.

Mandarin: hope to do a couple hours of L-R tonight

Uyghur: Read a story in class today.   It was simple grammatically. My sight reading is still pretty slow, but it is much faster the second time.

Edited by kealist on 31 March 2008 at 3:40pm

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 14 of 62
03 April 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
The last couple days I have just been doing some miscellaneous listening through the day,and working on my Mandarin parallel texts. I finished one!   It took a while, but it is the 2 hour The True Story of Ah Q The English translation seems to match pretty literally with the chinese (even though my chinese isn't so good) but they parts should in general be lined up with one another. I tried to break it up sentence by sentence as much as possible. It is in traditional characters though. Please use it and enjoy!

I met with a Japanese friend the other day who calls her self a book worm, and I asked her what she would recommend out of Japanese literature. It got me more curious about trying to do L-R with Japanese. But I think I should stick with one language with that technique for the time being. I've lost some discipline since my long break, and making parallel texts is more of a distraction. But I feel like Mandarin is a little more difficult for me to follow when I don't have a parallel text.   If I can finish my text of the Sword of the Yue Maiden, I will have two shorter stories to work with rather than my ridiculously hefty Anna Karenina. I want to get a more medium sized one as well.   I'd made a text for Alice in Wonderland in Mandarin shortsightedly because I don't have the audio for it.

I like the idea of reading original Chinese literature over foreign translated.   

I've also updated the first post links recently, so I suggest that you check it out if you want to use any Mandarin materials.

Edited by kealist on 03 April 2008 at 3:46pm

kealist
United States
Joined 5995 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 16 of 62
04 April 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
coitoergosum wrote:
Thank you very much for your hard work.
I downloaded your Anna Karenina text. I have trouble dispaying it correctly. Here's a print screen: End of Chapter I. Link-jpg.
Is your original version like that, too?

It's not, but let me check it out on a different computer, and I just uploaded a PDF version (that one was not the most recent; this one is).   Please try again because this will fix it for you.   I discovered a horrendous amount of bugs in Word while I was making this text, so I don't doubt that it shows up differently on different computers. Remember that the Chinese text does not exactly match the audio, but for most places it seems to.

Edited by kealist on 04 April 2008 at 7:53am

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version