olympian
United States
Joined 5653 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 62
03 November 2008 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the inspiring log and for sharing the resources.

kealist wrote:
So, I have changed my mind. Xunlei is great. They have all sorts of movies and tv shows on it. Such as Spongebob Squarepants dubbed in Mandarin. Aside from within the program I have not seen any ads, so it doesn't seem too dangerous. Suggest looking through the website to at least see what kind of things you can find.    

I read this scary thing about Xunlei on Wikipedia:

"By default it scans the user's computer and automatically shares all files across the Xunlei network, and often exhausts the user's upload bandwidth as it does not provide a real upload speed limiter. The user has no means of limiting what to be shared or not to be shared.[3]"   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xunlei

1 person has voted this message useful

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6022 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 50 of 62
25 November 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Ok, somewhat of an update. Ijust have mainly spent time listening to Chinese each day. Schools gonna be a big time sucker until mid-December. Over winter break I won't have to work so I can concentrate on my mandarin studies and apply for the scholarship to go abroad to study Chinese next year. My goals for the break are to get my character knowledge up to 3000.   I also plan to really hit L-Ring over the break.   I have the following audiobooks at my disposal now:

Ah Q
Anna Karenina
Around the World in 80 Days
Dragon Sword
Fortress Besieged
Gulliver's Travels
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Old Man and the Sea
Outlaws at the Marsh
Robinson Crusoe
Sword of the Yue Maiden
Tom Sawyer

I may just keep going with Anna at first, since I have L-R it before to a degree.

So, as an ESL teacher and as a language learner I've been thinking about methods and all that.   My end goal is near-native fluency in Mandarin in the next 2-3 years. I've really no patience for a lot of traditional methods of language study, and I'm coming to the understanding that our brains can figure a lot out on their own. I read a lot of the ALG (automatic language growth) stuff, and I think some parts of it are valid. Also the Norsk Experiment shows some interesting ideas about language learning. I am coming to appreciate most of Krashen's ideas, despite lack of respect for him in the research sphere. Though I don't think comprehensible input is the golden ticket. There needs to be some useful error correction for output. I've been thinking about AJAAT, and been testing myself listening to The Old Man and the Sea. I find that if I believe I can understand it, I have a much easier time understanding what's being said, or at least I'm trying to guess more.   I think one of the key points from Katsumoto follows:

AJAAT wrote:

Anyway, don’t be taken in by any hints you may get (even from me) about discipline and consistency and commitment and all those other lame-a$$ abstract nouns[6]. When you get down to it, this method is all about having fun and just being…just chilling. I didn’t “work hard”; I didn’t really “sacrifice” to learn Japanese; I made a lifestyle choice and let the consequences of that choice run their natural course, because Japanese fluency is an inevitable result of a real and sustained Japanese environment; once you get your ducks in a row most of it is simply coasting. Dude, most of the time all I did was listen to Rip Slyme, shop on Amazon.jp and download stuff online; you’re not supposed to spend 24 hours a day attached to your SRS deck like unto an umbilical chord. No…What, do you want to be bored to tears? Do you think you’re supposed to be bored to tears?

I think TV is important because it provides contextual clues to help guess meaning.   Audiobooks really lack that context, but I can still make guesses.   I don't remember the exact plot of Old Man and the Sea, so those thoughts don't help a whole lot. There are still patterns though, and I already have a small vocabulary, so I can understand many things from that. There are so many words I've heard tons of times, but I don't know what they mean. I am still refraining from speaking unless it's pretty mentally unchallenging.   

I wish my thoughts were a little more organized in my writing.   The main ideas I'm valuing right now:

1. I believe I can understand Mandarin well.
2. I will listen to Mandarin as much as I can, and I will learn things all the time.
3. My brain is able to figure out mandarin on it's own. I will guess meaning from context.
4. This will take some time, and at some point I may use an SRS for sentences. The SRS/sentences are not the point, but it can help remind me often of things. This will make things more efficient.   
5.  English is not necessary to learn Mandarin.
6. I will learn traditional Chinese characters through an SRS. This is simply the fastest way.   I will learn over 5000 of them.
7. My main goal is to be able to read Chinese history books in chinese. I want to be able to do this within a years time without difficulty.
8. I can relax and enjoy Chinese.

Edited by kealist on 25 November 2008 at 1:41pm

Sapphire
Germany
Joined 5643 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 51 of 62
25 November 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thank you so much for all the audio material! This will definitely help a lot. Good luck for your studies!

kealist
United States
Joined 6022 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 52 of 62
25 November 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Sapphire wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for all the audio material! This will definitely help a lot. Good luck for your studies!

Thanks, just realize that pingshu8 is not so easy to use anymore. You have to use the xunlei software, which as is mentioned above may be rather spyware-ish. I haven't had problems with it stealing my network uploading, but it is possible.   Good luck with your studies as well.   

They do have Da Vinci Code listed on their site, but it seems to not be downloadable at this point in time.   If you use Xunlei, you can also download Spongebob Squarepants in Mandarin.

slattery
United States
dinglabs.com
Joined 6262 days ago

13 posts - 38 votes

Message 53 of 62
08 December 2008 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Kealist, for your wonderful list of Chinese audiobook resources!

I wanted to share a technique that I've found for listening-reading to the audiobooks,
using a free open-source tool, "Transcriber".

I posted an brief article about it, with a little example video: here
http://slatterypod.com/2008/12/06/transcriber-secret-tool-fo r-language-learning

So far, I've listened-read to two Chinese audiobooks with this and it's been great.
I'd love to hear what other techniques people have.

kealist
United States
Joined 6022 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 

Message 54 of 62
08 December 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
slattery wrote:
Thanks, Kealist, for your wonderful list of Chinese audiobook resources!

I wanted to share a technique that I've found for listening-reading to the audiobooks,
using a free open-source tool, "Transcriber".

I posted an brief article about it, with a little example video: here
http://slatterypod.com/2008/12/06/transcriber-secret-tool-fo r-language-learning

So far, I've listened-read to two Chinese audiobooks with this and it's been great.
I'd love to hear what other techniques people have.

slattery,

You're very welcome.   I've known of transcriber--used it on a language documentation project I worked on--but I hadn't thought of using it for L-Ring. That sounds like a great idea! although I'm curious how much work the lining up of an audiobook would be. Would you be willing to share the transcriber file for one of those audiobooks so I could test it out? I have a script to convert transcriber files to multi-column html tables if one prefers to work in that format.

Anyways, thank you for the suggestion. I have about 26 pages left to write in the next week before I finish the semester and begin on my chinese studies for the break. I am looking forward to it.

slattery
United States
dinglabs.com
Joined 6262 days ago

13 posts - 38 votes

Message 55 of 62
29 December 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Just to give an idea, I uploaded a sample chapter here: http://rapidshare.com/files/177940148/Ch.01.zip.html

Transcriber sometimes has trouble seeking to the correct position in a large audio
file unless the audio file is in WAV format. For that reason, I usually convert audios
to WAV before using them with Transcriber. But .ogg format does work reasonably well.

Let me know if you know of a good way to share these synchronized transcripts, I think
they can be a great resources for us learners to share!

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6716 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 56 of 62
16 April 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Great thread and an excellent resource for students of Mandarin. The downside: How to download the audiobooks if you don`t want to install xunlei. I`ve just done a quick search on xunlei and the things I read didn`t sound very flattering. I`d rather not have this program on my harddrive. Is there another way to get the audiobooks?

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version