Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6402 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 2 of 6
10 March 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Very nice site. By the way, you have the Asturian language (Bable) listed as Asturiana- it should be Asturianu. It might also be nice to have books listed under Galego in the same section as those under Galician and vice versa, as they are the same language (just a thought).

Edited by Talairan on 10 March 2008 at 7:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

geranio99
Heptaglot
Spain
Joined 6834 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Catalan*, Spanish, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, Romanian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 6
10 March 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Dear BFLB,

Congratulations for the site. As you said it really represents a good resource when looking for new material published in less commonly taught languages. I have been visiting this site well before it changed its look. However, I have also found some linguistic inconsistencies of the same sort as Talairan and hope they are corrected as soon as possible. For example, you include two terms for the same language, that is, you use Catalan and Valencian, just for you to know, Catalan is the only name aceptable for referring to that language, the other term refers to one dialect among others.

Regards,
geranio

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6402 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 6 of 6
10 March 2008 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
At the risk of opening up a political can of worms, which is not my intention but unfortunately in the case of these two dialects/ languages/ varieties, politics very often governs the terminology used, speakers of Valenciano, would argue that the language they speak is not called Català when self-refencing the language. Balearic-Catalan-Valencian form a continuum of dialects, and Catalan is not the only name used to refer to any of the varieties along this continuum which includes Mallorquin which is highly divergent from so-called "standard" Catalan. Perhaps the best way of thinking about it is that Valencian is that form of the continuum spoken in Valencia and Catalan that form of the continuum spoken in Catalunya.
Valencia has its own language academy, which would seem to suggest that in the autonomous community it is called Valenciano.
This article from May 2006 is particularly telling, especially the last sentence. Why would steps towards unity be needed if they were the same language already? I dislike when politics interferes in language policy, which is why I take a fairly neutral stance and accept that languages exist on continua. But, I doubt that a speaker of Riborçan would easily understand a speaker of Valenciano, even though, it could be argued they both speak Català.
If I were looking for a book on Valencian I would look under Valencian first, and if nothing appeared then go to the section on Catalan, so, in my opinion, the distinction should remain. The case often is, however, that books on Galego, Valenciano, Murciano, Català, Extremeñu, Asturianu (even Euskera) are usually grouped under the Spanish, or Hispanic languages section of most language shops, if only due to the paucity of instructional materials produced in these (can I use the term?) languages.

Just my 2 cents.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version