Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 3
14 March 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
I started my "Polish: another attempt" attempt with phonetics. I found that I could hear some sounds up to 4 distinct ways (literally the same sound, in the same sound extremely short sound file), as my brain tried to make sense of sounds it was unfamiliar with.

When I started speeding up the audio, it originally sounded like there was some serious reverb, which increased as the speed did. However, after perhaps a few hours of listening, I could turn my perception of this on and off, more or less at will. By the time I finished my 3rd pass through "The Master and Margarita", I'd listened to perhaps 8 hours of accelerated audio, and I could no longer hear the reverb effect, even when I tried. I dismissed this as a minor curiosity, and didn't bother to write about it.

However, it seems that it's changed my perception of audio more drastically than I thought. I've managed to mistake German for Swedish, because it sounds so much more musical to me now. Where the stress falls in a sentence is also much clearer. Perhaps most strangely, my sense of relative pitch has changed as well. I've been actively participating in music for a long time (I started singing in a choir at 3), although I've been actively singing/playing instruments much less regularly for the last several years. My sense of relative pitch has never been particularly good. Music sounds significantly different to me now, and relative pitches are -much- clearer than they were, though this effect seems to be fading. I perceive Italian differently as well.

So far, I think this is the strangest result I've had with language learning.

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6434 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 2 of 3
14 March 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

When I started speeding up the audio, it originally sounded like there was some serious reverb, which increased as the speed did. However, after perhaps a few hours of listening, I could turn my perception of this on and off, more or less at will. By the time I finished my 3rd pass through "The Master and Margarita", I'd listened to perhaps 8 hours of accelerated audio, and I could no longer hear the reverb effect, even when I tried. I dismissed this as a minor curiosity, and didn't bother to write about it.

Last year I wrote about speeding up audios several times.
When I listen audiobooks my first time is with normal audio. The second time I edit the gaps to less 0,5 seconds and I speed up the audio (Audicity). At the beginning was a matter of saving time, but I think it's usefull, because the native normal speed seems low afterwards.

On the other hand I experimented with Assimil speeding up 50 times. Maybe it's useful, but it changes my mood and I become anguished.

july22_m
Australia
Joined 5661 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, German, Italian

Message 3 of 3
06 December 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
50 times??!!

I find that using Astro Player Pro on my Android phone I can only handle 2x speed. that
includes using pitch correction (no chipmunks here!!!!!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version