38 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 9 of 38
30 March 2008 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
My plan is to systematically go through everything I have studied, at least in some sense or another, first and foremost (some three score tongues), then to present a lesser selection of the others languages for which I at least have samples in my collection (another equal number). I seem to be getting the hang of the filming process, so I hope to be able to manage several languages a week in the near future...
1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6424 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 10 of 38
09 April 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the new video, it's interesting as usual. I am looking forward to the next videos. Having been to South Africa recently, I'd like to make two comments on your pronunciation of certain diphtongs:

-'y' is not pronounced like German 'ei' any more, but like English 'ay' as in 'play'
-'ui' in 'uit' is pronounced like the French 'oeil'

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6351 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 11 of 38
10 April 2008 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Further to Marc Frisch's comments, I would say that the ui in "uit" is pronounced more like the 'ay' in "play" -almost but not quite, (the IPA symbol, I believe, is /œy/) at least in the Afrikaans I learnt (KwaZulu Natal). I don't know French, so am unsure of the pronunciation of 'oeil', IPA anyone? The final -g in "gesig" is not a devoiced /g/ but rather a /x/. Overall, I would say that the pronunciation of the Afrikaans in the video is like someone who knows Dutch trying to pronounce Afrikaans according to Dutch orthographic rules. I have a similar problem when speaking Dutch- my accent tends to dip into Afrikaans.

Russianbear
Triglot
United States
Joined 6534 days ago

358 posts - 422 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, Ukrainian
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 38
11 April 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Personally, I found the Afrikaans video the most interesting of the language videos so far - probably, because of the relative obscurity of the language. While I've had some exposure to German and even the Dutch, it is the first time that I got a glimpse of Afrikaans.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 13 of 38
13 April 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Frisch et al., thank you very much for the input on Afrikaans diphthongs, which I will try to remember and implement the next time I find myself actually speaking Afrikaans.

“Russianbear,” I am attempting to make these videos to do just what you say you appreciate—give people glimpses of languages they may never have seen before.

Indeed, just now I added a video for Frisian.

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5865 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 38
13 April 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Yes it is, unless the sch cluster is followed by an R, in which case it tends to be pronounced like "skr-".

That was a fine video for Frisian, Professor.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5945 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 38
14 April 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Professor, your video on Frisian was very enlightening, and the language itself sounds very appealing to me, moreso than many European languages I've heard. Perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to study and use it.

May I make a suggestion regarding your YouTube account, by the way? As your number of videos increases on the site, I have noticed that referring back to the older editions of your series has become difficult due to the long titles, both starting with the word "language." May I suggest looking into making a pair of playlists on your account in the future? One of "Languages of the World," and one for "Language Learning Review." This would make it easier to view your work and would provide a higher level of organization. If you like, one of the other members or myself can provide you with a short tutorial on how to do this.

- Evan

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6424 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 16 of 38
14 April 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed watching this video, I had never seen or heard Frisian before, but after your explanations I immediately understood the phrases you read. A very exciting experience! I am wondering if this is just because I know German, English, and some Swedish, or because I was exposed to Dutch and Luxembourgish on a regular basis in my childhood (Luxembourgish is actually my mother's native language). In any case, after watching this video I really feel like studying some more Germanic languages in the future. It must be very gratifying to know a whole language family, and given my linguistic background I am sure that I could achieve this with the Germanic family.

By the way, have you ever studied Luxembourgish? I have never seen study materials for it, not even in Luxemburg, but it is an official language in Luxemburg and has about 300.000 to 400.000 speakers in Luxemburg and Germany. From a linguistic point of view, it is very interesting, as it is the only Central German language that is an official language of a country, and as such is a link language between High German languages such as German and Low German languages (Dutch, Frisian).

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version