Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
64 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 8 Next >>
Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6159 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 33 of 64
19 June 2008 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Nice review of the Buske series...

Unfortunately it seems that the Korean book mentioned is no longer available. Well, it's certainly not listed in the catalogue on the buske website...

The only Korean book listed is one that apparently assumes some knowledge of Korean already and it only has 200 plus pages. Rather a pity.
1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6159 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 34 of 64
25 June 2008 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the review of the Living Language series. I've just bought the Persian and Arabic courses and they are superb. And what value for money! I paid $300 or so for the Linguaphone Arabic course and it's so badly done that I couldn't be bothered working through the first lesson. The Living Language course seems to present Arabic in a really accessible fashion. After spending money on many books and tapes... finally something that is well written, nice transliterations and the Arabic is even in a legible typeface.

Answers in the back of each lesson too, not at the back of the book which is always inconvenient. I suppose the only downside of the thick Arabic book is that a large amount of that is devoted to regional dialects so I don't know how much vocab they actually introduce. But I suspect that after worked through this book any other Arabic grammar book would become accessible... Maybe even Linguaphone.

I managed to order the Hindi book mentioned by the Prof... out of print I think but still available second hand on Amazon... but now I'm rather excited to see that Living Language also has a Hindi course... I can't wait till that turns up.

Edited by Budz on 25 June 2008 at 2:42am

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7042 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 35 of 64
03 July 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
I have made and posted a review of a series produced by Passport Books. I wish had said more clearly in the video that I believe the “Practice and Improve” levels to be particularly well-designed for getting students over the high beginner / low intermediate hump.

Also, for some reason I am unable to post responses to the queries on the Buske YouTube page. For those who asked where to find and get such courses, I recommend either going straight to the Buske site, Amazon.de, or (for those in the States) Schoenhoef’s Foreign Books.

2 persons have voted this message useful

biki2
Diglot
Groupie
United States
vatoweb.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6808 days ago

57 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Catalan, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 36 of 64
04 July 2008 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
I have made and posted a review of a series produced by Passport Books. I wish had said more clearly in the video that I believe the “Practice and Improve” levels to be particularly well-designed for getting students over the high beginner / low intermediate hump.

One interesting feature of the Practice and Improve series not mentioned in the video is that they use the same story narrative across languages. (At least for Spanish, French and the Italian series mentioned in the video; I'm not familiar with the German series.) Of course some details are changed, but I found after using the Spanish series that the French was easier to understand because I already knew the story.

pentatonic
United States
Joined 7033 days ago

221 posts - 245 votes 

Message 37 of 64
04 July 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
biki2 wrote:
Tne interesting feature of the Practice and Improve series not mentioned in the video is that they use the same story narrative across languages. (At least for Spanish, French and the Italian series mentioned in the video; I'm not familiar with the German series.) Of course some details are changed, but I found after using the Spanish series that the French was easier to understand because I already knew the story.

I have the German Practice and Improve and the Plus and they follow the same stories as those the Professor outlines in his video for the Italian versions. I agree with the professor that the Plus version is not any more difficult than the first. Actually, I agree with everything he said :) (Thanks professor Arguelles, I always enjoy watching your videos.)

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5892 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 38 of 64
21 July 2008 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
I've always held the belief that exploiting the Langenscheidt collection (among a score of good German-language sources) can be a great goal of learning German in the first place. This latest video exemplifies that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6028 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 39 of 64
21 July 2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I second that. Langenscheidt is worth learning German for.

Edited by Gilgamesh on 21 July 2008 at 6:34am

3 persons have voted this message useful

dbstraight
Diglot
United States
Joined 5782 days ago

30 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 40 of 64
08 August 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I just wanted to say that based on your recommendations (primarily the recommendation to find older language books), I've purchased several 50s-80s Spanish books from AbeBooks, and I couldn't be happier. They're so much more interesting to go through than modern phrasebook/we-don't-think-anyone-can-actually-learn-this-lan guage-meaningfully language books. Thanks for the tip.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version