FXcuisine.com
Joined 7136 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 6
21 February 2005 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Why list 'Russian' bookstores in Moscow? Well, I'll tell you. You can roam the city for quite a while before you find a good bookstore in Moscow, so if any of you go, it'll save you some time.

Russian books in Russia are dirt cheap - your main concern will be weight rather than price. Don't be taken aback by the newspaper-quality paper they use. That's the way it is and anyway you won't be there in a hundred years.

BIBLIO-GLOBUS
www.biblio-globus.ru
Ulitsa Myasnitskaya 6
Tel: +7 095 925 1409
10am-8pm Mon-Sat
Just behind Lyubyanka, seat of the former KGB, this is the largest bookstore in Moscow. It is huge and always crowded. They have two large floors and a small basement, with thousands of books. Good language section. Many Russian books about the Russian language for advanced students. Good section about war history and espionage.

Biblio-Globus in Moscow

MOSKOVSKII DOM KNIGI
www.mdk-arbat.ru
Phone: +7 095 290 3580
10am-8pm Mon-Fri; 11am-8pm Sat
Ulitsa Novyi Arbat
Huge bookstore on Novyi Arbat, in one of the immense buildings just after where Old and New Arbat streets cross. The library is on the first floor, a gargantuan area filled with neatly organized books about everything. The language section is very good with particular emphasis on Russian for foreigners. It is quite interesting to see what sort of people study Russian in Moscow by just looking at who shops in this aisle. Many Asians, that's for sure, but where from? Perhaps from North Korea but I could not make sure.

Dom Knigi has become a landmark on Novyi Arbat

Edited by administrator on 21 February 2005 at 5:04am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bradley
Groupie
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

55 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 6
21 February 2005 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I know this topic is on book stores in Moscow, but I'm going to be studying in St.Petersburg. Which I am sure has a plethera of books stores because of the cultural setting which is SPB. so, if you know of any exceptional stores which I should visit when I arrive there I would be appreciative.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7136 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 6
02 March 2005 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Russian clients recommended me today their own favorite bookshop in Moscow. I have never been to the shop but it seems worth a visit, so I'll list it here anyway:

KNIZHNI MAGAZIN MOSKVA
http://www.moscowbooks.ru
Tverskaya Ulitsa 8
Subway 'Tverskaya' or 'Pushkinskaya'
Phone +7 095 229-64-83

chanchalseo
India
hendlinbooks.com.au/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5246 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 4 of 6
17 November 2009 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Hi,
I have never been to the shop but it seems worth a visit, so I would like to visit it. It seems really great information.

Thanks for this.

Edited by patuco on 17 November 2009 at 6:35pm

NightOwl
United States
Joined 5211 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 5 of 6
22 December 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Дом Книги
191186, г. Санкт-Петербург
Невский проспект, 28
+7 (812) 448-23-55

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Zin ger%27s_house_01.jpg/800px-Zinger%27s_house_01.jpg

Edited by NightOwl on 22 December 2009 at 11:18am

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6090 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 6 of 6
17 January 2010 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Книжный pынок в с/к "Олимпийский", м. Пpоспект миpа. работает обычно сраннего утра до 14.00. МНОГО ЛЮДЕЙ! Запаситесь терпением, гуманизмом или орудиями убийства.

м. Проспект Мира

It is not a "store", but the first floor of the Olympics Stadium, which is filled with hundreds of stands. The place can be really crowded, specially on weekends. It is by far the biggest and cheapest place to buy books in Moscow, but be aware: sometimes the prices tend to go up when they see you're not russian.

If you hate the re-edition of russian classics as much as I do, and want to buy old-school soviet books, this is your place. You'll find just about anything. According to what I saw, it is also the best places to buy bilingual dictionaries (far more cheaper than in the big bookshops). But teaching materials and textbooks are cheaper in the bookstore on the first floor of the French Alliance.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version