Joined 5990 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 10 of 12
14 April 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Pauline wrote:
..often when I don't know a thing in English, I think about how you say it in Dutch and translate it into English.

This is exactly what I do with Dutch, I know the German word and the English word for something and then I just look it up in the dictionary and find a Dutch word that is similar to either the German or English word. I do the same with Spanish/French/Italian. Actually, you need to learn Italian. You would absolutely love it. When a word in Italian is not like French, it’s like Spanish. Also, then we would have the exact same languages..

Pauline wrote:
I have to improve my pronunciation. Some people who have listened to my spoken English told me that I've a French accent and it's sometimes difficult to understand me because of it

Don’t improve it too much. English spoken with a slight French accent sounds beautiful.

Pauline wrote:
How is your pronunciation of the foreign languages? In French the English accent sounds very nice…

I think my accent in all languages is pretty good. I have a good ear for music and I am also good at imitating other English accents and I think this helps with my foreign language accents. I am actually considering putting together an audio file of me saying the same bible verse in all six languages I speak. Then people can listen and tell me where I need work vis-à-vis my accent. I’m surprised to hear you say an English accent in French sounds nice, I always thought an English or American accent sounds bad in any language..

Edited by JW on 14 April 2008 at 6:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5990 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 12 of 12
15 April 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Pauline wrote:
..but, for the moment I'd like to improve my German, English and Spanish. To learn another one would be too much I think..

Yes, I agree. Improve your English and Spanish first. I think your German is already pretty good.. I’m just saying, make Italian your next language. My next language will be Portuguese..

Pauline wrote:
can you play a musical instrument? I can play little bit piano and my best friend can play fantastic violin, maybe he will study it for his profession.

No, unfortunately, but I wish I could.

Pauline wrote:
it seems you like the bible verses.

Yes, I actually have memorized quite a bit of the bible. It helps you in every way, including intellectually: Le commencement de la sagesse, c'est la crainte de l'Éternel; Et la science des saints, c'est l'intelligence Prov 9:10

Pauline wrote:
No, in French it sounds very nice. I think that in Wallonie the people like the English accent, but i think that the peopl doesn't know if a person is british or american. Wallonie is more pro-anglo-saxon than France (I mean than France is, not than wallonie is pro-France).

I’ll have to make sure not to improve my accent too much then! Yeah, the relationship between the French and the Anglo-Saxons is so funny. Over the years, we have conquered each other and then helped each other, loved each other and hated each other. It’s really crazy. We are really so closely realated..

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version