12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6509 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 1 of 12
25 March 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
In Japanese how is 僕 used to refer to oneself? What feelings can it evoke from the person with whom you are communicating? Also can it only be used with plain form (辞書形)?

I heared that it sounds more manly than 私. In fact I heared sissy boys always use 私 as opposed to 僕. However, I have heared that excessive use of 僕 sounds rather immature. Are these true? I would just like someone to clarify these points as second hand information usually contains errors anyway. Also, when talking to superiors, can the use of 僕 be offensive or inappropriate?

Similarly, what about 君? I have heared it is better to use it than あなた as あなた sounds cold. Brrrrrr! I once heared that you can't use 君 to adress girls. However, I saw it used to a girl on a movie. Is it inappropriate to call at girl 君?

I would just like someone to answer those questions and maybe give a 101 on forms of address when speaking Japanese.

Thankyou

Luke
1 person has voted this message useful

qklilx
United States
Joined 5946 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 12
25 March 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Someone else should be able to give you a better answer but I'll give you a headstart on 僕 since I myself do not hear 君 enough to understand the connotations.

僕 is supposedly for young boys who haven't made it out of high school yet. I hear it all the time from kids, pre-teens, and teens alike. According to some people I know, young adults and those approaching their 30s and 40s use it too, but in my experience they all use 私 and 俺 depending on the situation. 僕's connotations seem to show a degree of manliness if the speaker is younger, but a degree of immaturity as the speaker grows in age.

I think it's a pretty complicated concept, and unless you're a competent speaker or a scholar of Japanese sociology or the like, the difference isn't too important unless you want to be rude.

vanityx3
Diglot
United States
Joined 6221 days ago

331 posts - 326 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 12
25 March 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
When I used to study Japanese, a lot of the beginners books I had said the same things you said. But I seen in many places you should avoid あなた, most books and people just say to leave it off your sentence since you don't need pronouns in Japanese.

I never really got to learn which form to use either, between 僕or 私 so I normally left pronouns off my sentences. I had one older book that was trying to tell you to use わたくし, when wanting to use I. haha, I wasn't wanting to speak to the emperor.

Edited by vanityx3 on 25 March 2008 at 3:25pm

Gon-no-suke
Triglot
Japan
Joined 6194 days ago

156 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: Korean, Malay, Swahili

Message 4 of 12
25 March 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
It is hard to give any straight advise on pronouns. When talking about myself (35 year old male), I use all of them - わたくし, わたし, 僕, 俺, and sometimes jokingly わし. My main pronoun is 僕, and I use this one with people I know regardless of social status. To my peers I sometimes use 俺, but it doesn't come natural to me. My friends use 俺 or 僕, and there is a more "manly" feel to 俺. わたし would be slightly odd among male friends, but it is quite normal at more formal situations like work. わたくし is even more formal, but hardly on the level of the emperor.

Adressing other people is best done by their family name - leave out the さん if you are friendly and same age or older. あなた is used, but it carries different connotations depending on the context, and I would suggest you to avoid it until you get more experience in how it is used. I hardly never use 君, sometimes I use it to be slightly condescending in a friendly way - but only to my peers or guys "subordinate" to me. In very loose speech I use お前 or 自分 (Osaka dialect) to friends. I have used お前ら a few times to younger guys on the street when I got a bit angry, but it would be a good idea to avoid that unless you are prepared to take the consequences. I also use 僕 to little boys. Sometimes I use 汝 to my wife ;-)

joshy
Diglot
secretagentstyle.com
Joined 6079 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Greek, Russian

Message 5 of 12
25 March 2008 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
As regards あなた it is best to just use the persons name in the third person when speaking to them. so instead of あなたの犬がかわいいです。you could say 森田さんの犬がかわいいですね。or if it is understood who the subject is, just drop the pronoun completely which is always the best way to not sound too foreign in Japanese. 犬がかわいいですね In English we say YOU YOU YOU all the time, and its fine, but in Japanese it can have a little bit of an impersonal connotation. 

Edited by joshy on 08 May 2008 at 5:07pm

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6528 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 12
25 March 2008 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Since Japanese doesn't have real pronouns, over-using these generic pronoun-like words doesn't sound good, but in natural Japanese you don't need them much. I almost never use second-person "pronouns" in Japanese.

There's nothing particularly wrong with 僕, though. Japanese men of all ages use it, and 俺 is too gruff to be acceptable in many situations.

I think 君 is quite fine for girls, but using the girl's name might be better, as Joshy suggests.

Whenever you're going to use a so-called pronoun, though, think about whether it's necessary. Directional verbs and particles often make them unnecessary.

Gon-no-suke
Triglot
Japan
Joined 6194 days ago

156 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: Korean, Malay, Swahili

Message 7 of 12
26 March 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I have to add that I agree with Captain Haddock, only use pronouns for emphasis. Although I use a lot of different pronouns, most of the time I use none at all. In the beginning it might be good practice to speak without using them at all, forcing you to perfect your usage of directional verbs and keigo.

Maximus
United Kingdom
Joined 6509 days ago

417 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Thai

Message 8 of 12
27 March 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the imput. So, would 僕 even be acceptable when talking to teachers? Also one question was left unanswered. Can it be used with both forms? With both the dictionary form and the masu form? Or only with the dictionary form?

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version