Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6528 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 9 of 12
27 March 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
僕 can be used with plain and -masu forms. Ideally, a native Japanese speaker should explain the relationship between a student and teacher. My hunch is that 僕 is usually a little too informal.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gon-no-suke
Triglot
Japan
Joined 6194 days ago

156 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: Korean, Malay, Swahili

Message 10 of 12
29 March 2008 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
My ultra-small-scale survey says that 僕 is the common way to call yourself if you are a boy in elementary and high school. My hunch is that it is used at university as well. I think that pronouns are decoupled from keigo - polite/plain form. You could use ore with the masu form (ex. a guy to his sempai at the bukatsu), or watashi with plain form (if you are a woman). Maybe you could say that you choose the pronoun according to the image you are trying to project - if that description makes any sense. Masu/plain is used according to your social relationship and you can't relly change that easily.

Alec
United Kingdom
Joined 6159 days ago

36 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Japanese

Message 11 of 12
05 April 2008 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
First a bit of context - I'm a 19 year-old guy working at a Japanese restaurant in Japan. My colleagues are mostly 19-26 with a couple in their 40s.

I also use 僕, 俺 and 私 depending on whom I'm speaking to.

With my co-workers, I use 俺 if they're close to my age. I'll use 僕 with coworkers who are over, say, mid 20s. I'll use 僕 with my restaurant bosses but if a big boss came from the head office whom I'd not really met before, I would probably use 私.

With customers, I use 僕 but part of this is me subconsciously trying to be a bit friendly and endear myself to them in a cute way. I know I should probably be using 私 but I haven't heard other guys' speaking to customers yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Outside of work, I use 俺 with friends, 俺 with relatives close to my age (within maybe 5 years either side), 僕 with relatives a lot younger than me and 僕 with relatives much older than me. 私 would be way too formal but 僕 is friendly. It's not intimidating when you're speaking to 8 year-olds and it's kind of cute and "I know I'm younger than you!" when you're speaking to seniors.

If I was speaking to strangers, it would depend on the stranger's age and status.

In terms of how I refer to people I'm speaking to, almost always in the third-person by their name or job title (eg: 店長, 先生). I've used 君 and お前 only a few times with close friends when I'm joking around and teasing them. I've not dated any Japanese guys long enough to feel comfortable calling them by either.

That's how I use the three. I'm not a native speaker so I might have my usage mistaken. Here's how other people use the terms around me. I'll try and recall incidences.

My assistant-manager (male, about mid 20s) uses 僕 in a work setting and 俺 at in more casual settings (drinking sessions etc.). I think my manager (male, about 40) mainly uses 僕 when talking to the staff but uses 私 if he's talking to his bosses. I can't remember him saying 俺. Guys I work with around my age usually use 俺 with me but sometimes use 僕 if, for example, they're teaching me something and we're momentarily in student-teacher mode.

Male relatives around my age use 俺, younger relatives use 僕, much older relatives also use 僕.

My assistant-manager and manager almost always call me by my name but occasionally they've used 君 or あなた. Customers will usually me お兄さん or ocassionally 僕. (Because 僕 is used almost exclusively by young males, it is sometimes used by usually middle-aged women, to refer to a certain boy. Because she's obviously not referring to herself, it's understood she's referring in the second/third person to the only young male they might be talking about.)

Relatives call me by name but, as I mentioned before, I've occasionally been called 僕 by aunts. An example of this might be "僕はどこ行きたいの?" ("Where do you want to go?").

Well, this was long. I hope it helped. A few years ago I read a similarly long post somewhere and it helped with my understanding of the terms. My writing this huge essay is my giving back to the internet which helped me, lol.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 12 of 12
02 October 2016 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Maximus wrote:

Similarly, what about 君? I have heared it is better to use it than あなた as あなた sounds cold. Brrrrrr! I once heared that you can't use 君 to adress girls. However, I saw it used to a girl on a movie. Is it inappropriate to call at girl 君?

Huh? I have a crush on a girl who is taking Japanese literature department in college. Once I said to her "Kimi ni au no tame ni..." and when I asked whether my sentence was correct, she said it was, although maybe she was just being understanding at the time.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version