United States
Joined 6097 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 17 of 39
26 March 2008 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Some regions actually have Hochdeutsch as their "dialect", i.e. there is no dialect

I meant to address this earlier. I have a friend here, originally from the Rhineland, who, to my surprise one evening, expressed a great deal of resentment over the advantages afforded refugees from the the DDR (prior to the wall-downfall, of course). One of her points of resentment was that they spoke "perfect German, by definition," as best I can translate it. And, paparaciii, a dialect-free language sounds to me like a strait-jacket...
1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5891 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 18 of 39
27 March 2008 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
paparaciii wrote:
Leopejo wrote:

- but if it really lacks dialects it definitely is a minus, not a plus.

Just of curiosity, why do you think so?

Strange that you would ask. Dialects represent a cultural richness.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5891 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 19 of 39
27 March 2008 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I think German students would be well served to learn a variety of German that allows them to communicate with as many speakers of their language as possible. If you speak a distinctive variety of your language, it's helpful to be able to switch over so that an outsider can understand you.

Whether they get their instruction in a standard language or in dialect, I see that less and less of a problem. I don't know the German situation, but it can't be worse than the Italian one, where today young people have no problem communicating with anybody. Television is such a powerful invention.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5904 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 20 of 39
27 March 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
[QUOTE=SamD] I don't know the German situation, but it can't be worse than the Italian one, where today young people have no problem communicating with anybody. Television is such a powerful invention.

I think the comparison of Germany and Italy is a good one. I think both countries agglomerated multiple smaller "city states/provinces," each with it's own "language," into a country in the 19th century and thus needed a common language. German ended up with "Hochdeutsch" as a result of the influence of Luther's bible and Italy ended up with the Italian of tuscany as a result of the influence of Dante. I would love it if someone more knowledgeable could correct/expand my understanding of this.   

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5891 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 21 of 39
27 March 2008 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
and Italy ended up with the Italian of tuscany as a result of the influence of Dante. I would love it if someone more knowledgeable could correct/expand my understanding of this.   

There are many reasons why Tuscan became the official Italian. Certainly the Dante - Petrarca - Boccaccio trio was an important factor.

In addition, Tuscan is the "cleanest" language, the more similar to Latin, the reason being, for me, that the so dissimilar Etruscan language was completely wiped off (apart from some Etruscan words still common in Italian) during Roman conquest and didn't blend into spoken Latin.

But I'm not a linguist.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6097 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 22 of 39
27 March 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
That's pretty accurate, I'd say. I would not go so far as "language," but the dialects definitely differed from one another more than, say, English dialects, spread over the British Isles outside the Celtic areas. There's a lot more pressure to be able to understand the boss in the capital city, once the principalities consolidated. Pride of dialect really is tied, to some degree, to earlier independence and statehood. That doesn't exist in America, even in the American South, home of a "failed state." ;)    

Edited by Earle on 27 March 2008 at 2:13pm

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6603 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 23 of 39
28 March 2008 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Haha, I think I'm an hardcore proponent of Hochdeutsch, that might be because I'm Bielefelder (besides being a Turk :D), or because I'm a city kid (I think it's the former though).
I like youth slang/dialect though (Komm ma kla alta, so geht dat doch net! Was geht mit dir? Ich labba doch Hochdeutsch! :D), and Berlinerisch is pretty funny too (Ik hub keen problem damit).
I think the more urbanized, younger generation here in Germany (or at least in northern Neukölln in Berlin) looks down on dialects as a little...ehm...how would you say..zurück geblieben, especially Bayerisch is not liked at all.

Regards,
Ilhan

PS: I used to have a PE teacher, and now have a coach who speaks Säsisch...that's one funny dialect :D

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5904 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 24 of 39
28 March 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:
Haha, I think I'm an hardcore proponent of Hochdeutsch, that might be because I'm Bielefelder (besides being a Turk :D), or because I'm a city kid (I think it's the former though).
I like youth slang/dialect though (Komm ma kla alta, so geht dat doch net! Was geht mit dir? Ich labba doch Hochdeutsch! :D), and Berlinerisch is pretty funny too (Ik hub keen problem damit).
I think the more urbanized, younger generation here in Germany (or at least in northern Neukölln in Berlin) looks down on dialects as a little...ehm...how would you say..zurück geblieben, especially Bayerisch is not liked at all.

Regards,
Ilhan

PS: I used to have a PE teacher, and now have a coach who speaks Säsisch...that's one funny dialect :D

I like those northern dialects that are closer to Dutch than to Hochdeutsch. E.g., "Ik hub keen problem" above vs. "Ik heb geen probleem" in Dutch.

Also, is Saesisch the same thing as Saechsisch?

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version