Sweden
Joined 5952 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Finnish, French

Message 25 of 32
29 March 2008 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Earle wrote:
I think that it's accurate that most American English speakers do not find the Svensk/Norsk accent bothersome. On the contrary, it's quite charming.

Ah, that's right, I've heard that as well, but regarding another language. One of my German teachers once told us that many Germans find the Swedish accent charming, especially when we try to speak their language ;) (for example, saying the word "Ja" as you would in Swedish instead of German).

Edited by JD on 29 March 2008 at 6:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6101 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 26 of 32
29 March 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
You mean with the little lilt? :)

ZanyHermit
Bilingual Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 6102 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian

Message 27 of 32
29 March 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Well I grew up in Flanders, and I do think subbed TV is the main factor for the degree of English fluency here. Most Flemish kids only get about 2-3 hours a week of English for four years in high school, not exactly what you'd call intensive.
The focus in school is still much more on French, of which we got about 4-5 hours a week for eight years.
Even so, alot of young people here speak English better than French. In my case, I could speak English quite well already even before I started getting English in high school.
This doesn't mean that every Flemish person speaks English fluently though. Mostly it depends on the amount of exposure they get. Even though all foreign shows are subbed, many people prefer to watch Flemish and Dutch shows instead. At the other side of the spectrum, some people get more exposure by making a choice to read books in their original language. Videogames help too.

Edited by ZanyHermit on 29 March 2008 at 10:24am

JD
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5952 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Finnish, French

Message 28 of 32
29 March 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Earle wrote:
You mean with the little lilt? :)

Exactly ;).

Ra
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5925 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 29 of 32
29 March 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I found some numbers for those interested.

According to the latest reform, the number of hours of English instruction in Norway is supposed to be:

Grade 1-7: 328 hours per annum [children start attending 1. grade at age 6]
Grade 8-10: 227 hours per annum

And then for secondary school (grade 12-13, not compulsory) - 140 hours; as far as i have understood.

There are currently debates as to wether one should increase these numbers, so the above numbers may not be absolute in any way.

frenkeld: Thanks for sharing this interesting information. And I think I agree with your conclusions; I guess the way the amount of hours spent on instruction and the amount of hours of exposure (through various medias) compliment each other, plays a major role.

Edited by Ra on 29 March 2008 at 8:32pm

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6729 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 30 of 32
29 March 2008 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Ra wrote:

Is it really per annum rather than per indicated period (combined 1-7 or combined 8-10 grades)? The number of school days in a year is less than 328, so 328 hours per annum would mean more than one hour of English instruction per school day in grades 1 through 7. If true, this would be nothing short of amazing.

Ra
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5925 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 31 of 32
30 March 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Ra wrote:

Is it really per annum rather than per indicated period (combined 1-7 or combined 8-10 grades)? The number of school days in a year is less than 328, so 328 hours per annum would mean more than one hour of English instruction per school day in grades 1 through 7. If true, this would be nothing short of amazing.

I'll have to admit that these numbers confused me, and it may be per indicated period. It did say "annual hours" somewhere on the ministry of education webpage.

Edited by Ra on 30 March 2008 at 9:15am

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6101 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 32 of 32
30 March 2008 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Burrowing down through the MoE material, it appears that a student taking general studies must take at least three hours of a foreign language. For those students opting English I and then English II, it's at least three hours for the Alternative B in English I. In English two, Alternatives A & B, the requirement rises to five hours per week, or 187 hours per year. If anyone finds otherwise, correct me...

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version