United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6213 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 3
29 March 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles,

I wonder if you would be so kind as to recommend a daily study regiment for me. I'm currently studying French and German. In French, I have completed the first assimil volume and am now doing the second using your shadowing and scriptorium methods. Additionally, I listen to RFI daily. And in German I have just started the Assimil course. Unfortunately, due to school and work, I only have roughly an hour a day to dedicate to language study. How do you recommend I best use it? Are there other resources I should be using?

Thanks for your time,

John Lloyd-Kirk

Edited by lloydkirk on 29 March 2008 at 7:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 3
30 March 2008 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Lloyd-Kirk,

If you have only one hour a day to devote to two languages, and you know that you find both shadowing and scriptorium exercises with Assimil materials congenial, then your task in endeavoring to find the best study regimen revolves around finding an ideal temporal scheme.

How are your 60 minutes allotted? How should they be allotted? 30 minutes each for French and for German would be ideal. Permutations include:

60 minutes all at once, therefore 15 minutes shadowing French, 15 minutes shadowing German, 15 minutes transcribing French, 15 minutes transcribing German.

30 minutes, twice a day, therefore try: 15 minutes shadowing French, 15 minutes transcribing French; 15 minutes shadowing German, 15 minutes transcribing German.
Then try: 15 minutes shadowing French, 15 minutes shadowing German all at once; then later on, 15 minutes transcribing French, 15 minutes transcribing German.
Follow the scheme that works best for you.

15 minutes four times a day: 15 minutes shadowing French, 15 minutes transcribing French; 15 minutes shadowing German, 15 minutes transcribing German.

Try these various schemes until you find one that seems to suit you best, then strive to follow it with as much systematic regularity as you can muster.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5906 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 3
30 March 2008 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
For this summer, I too will be in a very similar situation as John Lloyd-Kirk, and I am hoping to be disciplined enough to follow a similar plan consistently. It seems perfectly balanced.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version