37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5886 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 37
10 January 2009 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Iversen, for mentioning the full title. Coincidentally, since the last time I wrote on this thread, I have already read vol. 1 and 2 and they were very pleasant reads. I learned quite a bit.
1 person has voted this message useful

vaasha
Tetraglot
Czech Republic
lelaon.com
Joined 5566 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Czech*, English, Norwegian, Finnish
Studies: Welsh

Message 26 of 37
22 January 2009 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
It should be also considered that languages like Hungarian and Finnish even though they have more cases then inflexional languages like Russian, Czech and I think also Latin the cases are not the same.
Finnish has 14-15 cases and circa 30 possible endings which are sticked to the end of the word and marks usually only one gramatical category. On the other hand Czech enddings have more features and there is something like 30 paradigms multiplied by 7 cases in singular and plural it's gives me circa 400 endings (some are repeating among paradigms).
And there are often some changes in stem as well both in Czech and Finnish as I suppose is in many other languages.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 37
25 January 2009 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
.. which nicely sums up one major difference between agglutinating and flexive languages. Flexive languages are just agglutinating languages that through sound changes, laziness, general disorderliness and simple wear and tear have lost the simplicity of the original agglutinative concept, and therefore the speakers of these languages with a few exceptions (German, Icelandic, Russian) are now frantically trying to get rid of the chaotic endings of their insanely complicated morphology. Instead the flective speakers have to use prepositional syntagms to express the same general ideas that the agglutinationists express through affixes, and even this generally results in a confused state that only can be learned as a lot of idiomatic exceptions to mostly nonexistant rules. Btw. the languages I mentioned have opted for BOTH having the trouble of using prepositions AND combining them with explicit cases - some people are masochists! Besides they use agglutinative techniques in the word formation processes of their languages, but with a hefty and objectively seen unnecessary dose of irregularity.

Would it be as fun to study languages, if languages were totally streamlined exercises in combinatorics? Methinks not.

Edited by Iversen on 25 January 2009 at 2:43am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 28 of 37
25 January 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I find it more pleasurable to know how to use a language properly and efficiently than do all sorts of mental gymnastics while studying it. Learning Estonian is a pain, but using it is what I'm after.

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5663 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 29 of 37
27 January 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Sorry, I no I shouldn't do this, but I feel it may help.

Circa is mainly only used when talking about years in the distant past. It took place circa 23 A.D or 5 B.C. It is almost never said as an alternative for "around". This is a much simpler word to use.

Oh and p.p of to stick is stuck.

As for the discussion. Am I getting the impression that Slavonic was agglutinative, and is now the result of a long history of morphology due to lazy speakers?

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5870 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Esperanto, Sanskrit, Japanese

Message 30 of 37
29 January 2009 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Olekander wrote:
Circa is mainly only used when talking about years in the distant past. It took place circa 23 A.D or 5 B.C. It is almost never said as an alternative for "around". This is a much simpler word to use.

I, as a native speaker, have no objection to Vaasha's use of 'circa'.

Olekander wrote:
As for the discussion. Am I getting the impression that Slavonic was agglutinative, and is now the result of a long history of morphology due to lazy speakers?

I believe all Slavic languages are fusional, so I think not. I'm not exactly sure what a "long history of morphology" is, either.

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5663 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 31 of 37
29 January 2009 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
.. which nicely sums up one major difference between agglutinating and flexive languages. Flexive languages are just agglutinating languages that through sound changes, laziness, general disorderliness and simple wear and tear have lost the simplicity of the original agglutinative concept, and therefore the speakers of these languages with a few exceptions (German, Icelandic, Russian) are now frantically trying to get rid of the chaotic endings of their insanely complicated morphology. Instead the flective speakers have to use prepositional syntagms to express the same general ideas that the agglutinationists express through affixes, and even this generally results in a confused state that only can be learned as a lot of idiomatic exceptions to mostly nonexistant rules.

I believe this was the post I was refering too. I trust iversen as an experianced linguist to share accurate information.

I may well have totally mis interpreted the post, but It seems to me that he is implying that they were once agglutinatve. No?

As for morhpology, where is the problem? Greek, move/change. Morphology is the changing of language over a number of years?

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5928 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 32 of 37
29 January 2009 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
farrioth wrote:

Olekander wrote:

I believe all Slavic languages are fusional, so I think not. I'm not exactly sure what a "long history of morphology" is, either.

Well, Proto-Indo-European was already fusional, for an agglutinative ancestor you might have to go back to the origins of agriculture or beyond.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version