Groupie
United States
Joined 5902 days ago

64 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 26
03 April 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
I think I was using Version 2...I bought it right before they revised the website and added more Level 3 languages.

But, as for Swahili, more so than just the grammar, any language that doesn't use The Latin Alphabet (Arabic, Russian, Greek etc etc) would be incredibly hard to learn in Rosetta Stone.

Thanks for your input, but I put German aside for awhile to focus on Spanish, which I am much farther along in.
1 person has voted this message useful

benjavi
Brazil
Joined 6138 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 10 of 26
03 April 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I've just bought a 3 months online subscription for German (v3). This is exactly the same course as the cd-rom
package.

Here is how it breaks down:

The course contains 3 Levels.
Each Level has 4 Units. (e.g.: Level 1, Unit 1 is "Language Basics" and Unit 2 is "Greetings and introduction")
Each Unit has 4 Lessons (about 30min each), plus the 5th "Milestone" lesson (about 10min).

So each Unit has about 130 minutes.
A Level has 4 Units = 520 minutes
And since there are 3 Levels = 1560 minutes, or 26 hours.

As for the course itself, I'm aware of the positive and negative opinions here. My 2 cents is:

I'm not bored at all. If I relax and just listen, I think I can do it for more than an hour everyday. It's no more
repetitive than any other drill, and far less dreary. I'm ignoring speech recognition, both because of the
unanimous agreement that this feature doesn't work well, and because I don't believe in speaking until you have
a very good understanding of the language.

It should definitely be used together with another material which teaches you grammar, preferably starting after
you have a general idea of how the grammar works. In its defense, I'm not aware of any course/method/system
mentioned here that when combined with more material is not better suited for learning.

As far as how much you will learn, I'll let you know in a few weeks. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6895 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 26
03 April 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Benjavi, are you doing any of the "focused activities"? Yes, each lesson is about thirty minutes, but there's an hour or two of practice for each one as well. If you follow their recommended course (select "Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking" when you start off) each Unit is close to 6 hours. This makes 24 hrs. per level and 72 total. Of course, if you only do the main lessons then each level is only about 8 hours, but you miss out on the vocabulary and especially grammar practice.

I agree that speech recognition can certainly get annoying at times.

Alex

benjavi
Brazil
Joined 6138 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 13 of 26
04 April 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Alex, you're absolutely right.

When you run your mouse over the Core Lesson icon it opens a dialog box saying it's "Lesson x, about 30 minutes".
I've just presumed all those other icons (the Focused Activities) were sections of said lesson. They are further
exercises, and add up to between 40min to 1h45, depending on the Lesson. So your estimate of 72hs is right on
the money.

It's worth mentioning that I've done the Focused Activities besides the Core Lesson, and it felt like 30 minutes...
either the program is nicer than I thought, or I'm highly influenced by estimates :)

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6895 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 26
04 April 2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Time certainly flies using the program! I had no idea it was taking up so much time until I realized that you could mouse over and see the time estimate.

I just finished Italian Level I, and counted the individual words I learned, not counting different forms like "I have, You have, She has, etc." In total, there were about 390, or about 25 words per lesson. I don't feel anywhere near fluent/conversational (though I could converse pretty freely with those 390 words, in the present tense). However, I feel like it has taught me a lot for the 24 hours that I used it. Considering that Pimsleur teaches only just over 100 words in their first level, I'd say RS taught a good number of words. If the pace keeps up, then I should have around 1200 words by the end of the three levels, which is certainly a good start!

On to level 2.

Quote:

...any language that doesn't use The Latin Alphabet (Arabic, Russian, Greek etc etc) would be incredibly hard to learn in Rosetta Stone

For Arabic, I have to agree. However, version 3 does make an effort to teach you the alphabet, and you can now type in these foreign languages. It shows you letter by letter what sounds they make, focusing on most common first and then less common letters later. By the end of the second unit (eight lessons), I'd say you'd be able to read a foreign script like Russian pretty well. I sampled the first two lessons of Russian (school has it) and didn't feel hindered at all by the foreign alphabet, because the "reading" activities (new in v3) focused exclusively on the sounds of different letters. (Russian was hard for other reasons; noun declensions, adjective agreement, verbs of motion....ack!)

Edited by AlexL on 04 April 2008 at 8:56am

johnclt
Joined 4867 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Studies: French*

Message 15 of 26
21 January 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Here is my personal experience with Rosetta Stone. About 10-15 hours to finish 4 lessons
and hit a milestone w/ 12 hours being my norm. I hear that the later units have less
lessons but using logic about 40-60 hours to finish a unit. All 5 units? Well that's
about 200-300 hours. I am an extremely slow learner but my gf speaks french so I have a
hand up. My advice? Don't focus on how long it will take you probably will never
establish fluency until you actually live the language. Just enjoy your learning
experience and celebrate everytime you make a stride. Enjoy it!
2 persons have voted this message useful

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6468 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 26
27 January 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Does anybody have any guess on how large vocabulary you get with version 3? If you complete the three levels.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version