Message 1 of 24
21 February 2005 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
GRANT & CUTLER
http://www.grantandcutler.com/
55 Great Marlborough Street
+44 020 7734 2012
London W1F 7AY
England

Large and long-established general language bookstore in Soho, roughly between Oxford Street, Regent Street and Charing Cross Road. I have shopped there many times and recommend that any language lover pays it a visit. The bookstore is cavernous, with large sections on most important languages and books about every minor language as well. They also sell some DVDs. Shopping attendants are not hugely pleasant, but you don't need them.

They also sell mail order but I'd rather shop on Amazon.com than order from some list.

FOYLES
http://www.foyles.co.uk/
113-119 Charing Cross Road
WC2H 0EB, London

The largest bookstore I've ever visited, Foyles is a labyrinth of specialized rooms sprawling all over a city block in Soho. It is huge! They stock more than 1.4 million books.

They have a good language section although a far cry from Grant and Cutler. Since both shops are not far from each other, I warmly recommend a visit to Foyles as well, which stocks almost everything. They have an entire room and a lady entirely dedicated to Mathematics. One for military history. Another for Cinema. And so on. The bookstore is being totally overhauled as we speak and will become much better organized for check out and paying.

Edited by administrator on 21 February 2005 at 5:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

jradetzky
Triglot
United Kingdom
geocities.com/jradet
Joined 7001 days ago

521 posts - 485 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1

Message 2 of 24
04 March 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I've also been to Grant & Cutler a couple of times and yes they have a large collection of language material, although I don't remember having seen any Pimsleur courses and their Assimil offer was rather limited.

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6957 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 3 of 24
19 April 2005 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Grant & Cutler does have some pimsleur courses - mostly the short ones for less common languages.

Here's another one:
www.lclib.com

Off the beaten track - on Judd St just south of Euston Rd between Kings Cross and Euston - but so is its' stock. ie they sometimes have FSI courses, and audio courses I've never seen anywhere else.

Are they any good? No idea; they're generally way too expensive! But if I were in London with a few weeks to prepare for a trip to somewhere exotic this is where I'd go.

Cat
United Kingdom
Joined 6554 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese, Korean

Message 4 of 24
29 July 2006 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
After reading this thread, I made a trip to Grant and Cutler (I'm from London so it's easy for me). I was quite impressed and I love bookstores in general, let alone language bookstores, so I was in heaven. They had materials for both Vietnamese and Korean that I hadn't seen before. I ended up spending a decent sum of money but it was worth it. I'll definitely go back, and I love just wandering around, browsing through materials for other languages too...

ted23
United Kingdom
Joined 6277 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French

Message 5 of 24
16 August 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
For modern european languages the European Bookshop in London is very good. Especially good on french titles its close to Piccadily Circus. Less than 10 minutes to Grant & Cutler which is then less than 10 minutes walk to Foyles. LCL books is probably another fifteen minutes walk from that. If you go to all four it can be an expesnive walk.

http://www.europeanbookshop.com/
They have a sister shop dedicated for Italian books, close to Holborn (Sicilian Avenue) if I remember correctly.

I concur that LCL is expensive as is Grant & Cutler, but for obscure stuff, with people who know what they are talking about its offset to a certain extent.

Waterstones on Gower Street - used to be Dillons in my day - is a large bookshop which supplies University of London course books. (Its next door to one of UoL's biggest colleges (UCL) and over the road from the University of London Students Union. It sits in between Foyles and LCL if you really like walking. Occasionally they have second hand language books, but to be honest the prices are generally closer to new than the condition is.

Also Borders sometimes carries some American titles which are not availabe from other bookshops.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6897 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 24
16 August 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
ted23 wrote:
They have a sister shop dedicated for Italian books, close to Holborn (Sicilian Avenue) if I remember correctly.

Has it moved then? There used to be a computer bookshop on Sicilian Avenue in Holborn (which has now gone, I believe). I thought the Italian branch of The European Bookshop was near Charing Cross Road.

Andy.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6809 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 24
16 August 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
I thought the Italian branch of The European Bookshop was near Charing Cross Road.

It was there last month when I visited it!

I personally preferred Grant & Cutler to the European Bookshop since the latter appeared to have rows upon rows of French books and not much else.

ted23
United Kingdom
Joined 6277 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French

Message 8 of 24
16 August 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
[QUOTE=Andy E]I thought the Italian branch of The European Bookshop was near Charing Cross Road.

It was there last month when I visited it!
[QUOTE]

Oh dear trick of the fading memory :o( My apologies, its a long time since I have been to either the Computer Bookshop (Sicilian Avenue and aapparently now closed) or the Italian Bookshop (Cecil Court). I only thought of it as I went to the main European Bookshop a couple of weeks ago.

Edited because I am babbling, its late, I'm tired

Edited by ted23 on 16 August 2007 at 6:17pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version