Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why’s there no empathy among anglophones?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 8 9 Next >>
timwatt
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6443 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Indonesian, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 69
03 April 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
It was presentation day during one of my university classes, where each group had to give a 10 minute presentation of their project. During one of the presentations, an Asian student was speaking with a heavy accent. Some of my classmates were snickering amongst themselves, whispering "Go learn your English!"

Some anglophones just have no empathy towards people who speak English as a second language. It's difficult to learn another language that has absolutely no resemblance to your own. I can't help but wonder how they would feel if they had to present in front of a class of 300 in a foreign language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 69
03 April 2008 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Well, having an accent is understandable, and making mistakes is understandable. But when someone sounds like they have a sock in their mouth...well, that's naturally going to invite jokes and rudeness (and that's everywhere, not just with anglophones). It's that person's responsibility to continue working on his English. If I went around talking in a strange voice (here, or anywhere), people would mock me.

Now, if it's clear that a person is clearly working on their language skills, then I find that most people are understanding and empathetic. But when it seems that someone apparently is making no effort to assimilate or improve, empathy goes out the window. In your particular example, giving a presentation in an educational institute and being incomprehensible is just going to frustrate and annoy those that want to learn. In the foreigner was being told to "Learn English", then obviously his English is not at an acceptable level. Don't put the blame on English speakers for not being able to understand someone with poor English.

Anyways, just be glad it was the student and not the professor. I actually had a professor that spoke English so poorly and with such a heavy accent, that he might as well have been speaking Mandarin. Literally. I mean, with students it's presumed that they are learning, but with professors...ugh. That evokes nothing but anger from me, toward both the school and the individual.

Edited by chelovek on 03 April 2008 at 6:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5932 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 3 of 69
03 April 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
It's because most anglophones only speak English so they have no appreciation for the difficulties involved in speaking a foreign language. I also think their ears are not trained to understand accents or handle grammar mistakes. I sometimes have to do "English to English" translations for my wife when someone has a heavy accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds

Message 4 of 69
03 April 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
I also think their ears are not trained to understand accents

That has little to do with speaking English. If someone pronounces something too incorrectly in any language, then it will be incomprehensible. It's the learner's responsibility to pronounce things in an appropriate manner.

If someone is clearly learning or new to a country, then I think just about anyone would be understanding and empathetic. However, me personally, when I see people that speak their own language all the time and don't actively try to improve in their English...I definitely don't have sympathy for them.

Edited by chelovek on 03 April 2008 at 6:18pm

K.C.
Groupie
United States
ksclay.net
Joined 6862 days ago

42 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 69
03 April 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I think this is horrible. It's one thing to get annoyed if someone is using incorrect English and doesn't seem to care, but it's another to make fun of someone for having an accent. Accents are normal. As long as it doesn't get in the way of understanding, I don't see a problem. Even if it does, snickering doesn't help. It's like making fun of someone with a lisp or someone who stutters. Yes, people do it. But that doesn't make it right. Usually these people are trying to improve their speech (who wants to stand out so much, especially when standing up in front of a class full of people?), but it takes time to do so. And the Asian languages are so far from English that I think it often takes an even longer time for many Asian people to lose the heavy accent than people from other parts of the world when they learn English.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6752 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 6 of 69
03 April 2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I haven't seen this myself. In my three years at uni, my classes have required about a dozen or so speeches, and the University of Wollongong has an enormous number of Asian, particularly Chinese students, as well as many Africans and Indians. Quite a few have struggled in their speeches, but they were never mocked for it, thankfully.

The thing is that it's not that they can't speak the language well enough, it's that their nerves get the better of them and they struggle to fight the nerves while simultaneously giving a speech in a second language. One-on-one speech with them is always more fluent.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6246 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 69
03 April 2008 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I agree with JW about untrained ears. Surprisingly, I seem to be able to understand more accents (both "native" and non-native) than native English speakers.

It's just that some native speakers have this interesting attitude of classifying all non-native accents as incomprehensible. But the truth is, some of the so-called native accents are far worse than non-native accents and still are not as harshly criticised.

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds

Message 8 of 69
03 April 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
But the truth is, some of the so-called native accents are far worse than non-native accents and still are not as harshly criticised.

That's an oxymoron. I mean, the grammar of natives can surely be poor, but accents...that doesn't make much sense.

Edited by chelovek on 03 April 2008 at 10:57pm

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version