China
Joined 6846 days ago

29 posts - 11 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 14
28 July 2005 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

I need your help. I have a question.

Today I watched a sitcom Friends, in which Ross told Joey and Chandler:"sometimes Rachel is a little ditzy." I checked my dictionary, but I didn't find the word.

what dose ditzy mean?

Thanks in advance
1 person has voted this message useful

KingM
Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 6977 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 14
28 July 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
From dictionary.com:

dit·sy also dit·zy   Audio pronunciation of "ditzy" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dts)
adj. Slang dit·si·er, also dit·zi·er dit·si·est, dit·zi·est

Eccentric or scatterbrained: “Needless to say, this ditsy crew succeeds in spite of itself” (David Ansen).

I don't think this is a great definition, or at the very least it's incomplete. For one, it has a decidedly negative connotation and is more what we'd call an airhead than merely eccentric. Also, it is usually applied to females.

Like most good English words, we love to mix and match our verbs and nouns. You could call someone a ditz.

Redy
China
Joined 6846 days ago

29 posts - 11 votes

Message 3 of 14
28 July 2005 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
thank you, KingM

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6931 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 4 of 14
28 July 2005 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
interesting word, Redy. I never heard that word before. If it's American English, it could well derive from Yiddish/Jewish. I'll have to check that one out.

Redy
China
Joined 6846 days ago

29 posts - 11 votes

Message 5 of 14
28 July 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Nephilim wrote:
interesting word, Redy. I never heard that word before. If it's American English, it could well derive from Yiddish/Jewish. I'll have to check that one out.

According to KingM's explanation, ditzy is not a formal English word, it is slang.

BTW, Did you watch FRIENDS? if no, I highly recommend it to you! You would love it crazily! believe me!

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6863 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 6 of 14
28 July 2005 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Nephilim wrote:
interesting word, Redy. I never heard that word before. If it's American English, it could well derive from Yiddish/Jewish. I'll have to check that one out.

It's present in Australia English also - mainly because Australia takes so much influence from America. But I don't think it's widely used it British English. I'd say the closest BE term is 'dozy' - 'dozy bint' = 'ditzy bit*h'

And yes Redy, it's slang - and you probably wouldn't say it to someone directly.

Edited by andee on 22 May 2009 at 8:26pm

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6931 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 7 of 14
28 July 2005 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
thanks Andee

the word 'dozy', I know. I think the correct spelling of this would be 'dozy' rather than 'dosey' as it must surely derive from 'to doze' meaning 'to sleep'.
I agree with your two examples and would add one more - 'dozy mare'.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6889 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 14
29 July 2005 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Nephilim wrote:

Although I've never heard anyone (that I can recall) use it in British English, I'm surprised you hadn't come across it before. Its origin, however, appears to be somewhat obscure....

ditzy
"stupid, scatterbrained" (esp. of women), late 1970s U.S. slang, of unknown origin, perhaps related to earlier slang dicty (1926) "conceited, snobbish," also of unknown origin. The noun ditz (1984) is a back-formation.

Andy.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version