Groupie
United States
Joined 6908 days ago

59 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Turkish
Studies: German, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 4
06 April 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles, Thank you very much for both your advice and example. In fact your advice has been so complete that I find I have few questions you have not answered.
I have shifted my schedule to gain those quiet morning hours and have found them quite productive - even surprisingly so. I have one academic chore to complete (finishing an MPA thesis) and I should be able to devote 35 hours a week to the polyglottery quest. I'll not bore you with the materials I'm currently using, but as a general rule I'm following the advice you've provided. I will mention Sandberg's German For Reading, this is one of the best language books I've come in contact with.

Currently I'm using Spanish on a daily basis in my work and reviewing more advanced topics in various text books.

I am studying Italian and French and least an hour a day in 20-30 minute chunks
Likewise German - Here I feel I'm making very good progress.

I also spend several fifteen minute sessions on Arabic script and some vocabulary each day. This is fun as I regularly pick out Turkish words I know.

I spend the bulk of the remaining time I have 1-2 hours on Chinese. I've set myself a goal of 25-30 characters a week. I've arranged for lessons with native speakers. I feel any real success in Chinese will require a mastery of the pronunciation issues as soon as possible.

Longer term I hope to complete the romance group, add the Scandinavians and Japanese.
Originally when I conceived this plan I was unsure if it would be possible, but after a month even with my academic distraction, it feels like I can do this - perhaps even more.
As I said above you've answered my questions in other posts, but your thoughts on my program are welcome. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Rolf Brown
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 4
06 April 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Brown,

Yes, if you hit the books hard and intelligently with systematic regularity over a period of many years, it will most emphatically be possible for you to achieve all that you have conceived of in your plan—and perhaps even more. Your plan sounds quite balanced and solid—I can make no recommendations for improvement at this point, but do keep me posted in general, and especially let me know when you really begin to devote 35 hours a week to this so we can make sure that you are following the best regimen. Enjoy the quest!

patlajan
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6908 days ago

59 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Turkish
Studies: German, Mandarin, French

Message 3 of 4
12 July 2008 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles,A Progress report: The academic chore is done, the family is overseas and I'm approaching my hours of study per week goal. I'm spending rather more time on the Germanic languages, enjoying the structural relationships and how the differences developed between them over time. I've found the classic 19th century comparitive grammars a great help. I'm fond of the more formal prose and the deep background on the languages they provide. I am finding the German prose in Grimm's grammar a little beyond me - but it's a struggle I intend to win.

I spend a least an hour a day on Chinese: writing the charactors and shadowing, the neighbors think I'm strange but that's ok.

Thanks,

Rolf Brown

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 4 of 4
17 July 2008 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Brown,

Thank you so much for the progress report. Continuity and follow-up here are all too often sadly lacking, which sometimes makes me wonder if it is worth my while trying to make more time for the forum -- I do like to get to know my "students" -- and to know that they are making progress! I am happy to hear that you are enjoying delving into both Germanic philology and Chinese calligraphy simultaneously, as these are both indeed most rewarding and fulfilling fields of study. The longer you keep at it and the more your know, the more enrichment you will get from them, but there is nothing like that initial contact. Thank you for bringing back memories! Please let me know at any point if there is any specific advice I can offer you.

Yours with best wishes,

Alexander Arguelles

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version