Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5981 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 1 of 2
18 April 2008 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Polyglottery and literary study in general is by its very nature an autodidact, trial-and-error process, thus it's not surprising that most of the study techniques talked over here are solitary, almost impossible to be performed near people and noisy places.

Indeed, these activities ( shadowing, scriptorium, etc ) are very productive; and teamwork is frequently tiresome and difficult to organize properly. Did any member overcomed these obstacles and developed an efficient approach to teamwork in polyglottery? Arguelles wrote about seminars, but I think he didn't write in detail how it would work. I remember seeing some topics about "group shadowing", did anyone attempted to this?

Thank you for your advice,
Ruan

Edited by Ruan on 26 July 2008 at 8:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7056 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 2
20 April 2008 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Rodrigues,

You raise some excellent points. The practice of polyglottery is indeed a solitary affair, but if there is to be any school of training for it, then, providing the students are well-matched, that training can certainly take place in small group format where assigning and coordinating the teamwork is the task of the teacher.

Some combinations of well-matched students would be those learning the same language at the same level and/or those reciprocally learning each other’s languages. In these instances, the reading necessary for the scriptorium can take the added eminently useful form of dictation and they can provide phonetic training and general speaking practice for each other. Even less well-matched small groups can be very valuable for the cohesive dynamic of channeled competitiveness that they produce. When being taught and trained in techniques that require constant correction and observation, it is very useful to have that come not only from within, from the self, and from without, from the teacher, but from others engaged in the same task.

I believe the seminars to which you refer were to be the great book discussion sessions, which are another matter altogether.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version